Any glaring holes here?

Mofracky

I just finished the mass buying frenzy to start building my portable studio (on wheels!). Here's the pick list.

(Already Owned)
Behringer MX2004a (20ch mixer ~$250)
Dell Latitude CPi (P2/300, 256mb ram) (lacking)
Some Cad drum mics, an SM57 a C1000, an Audix D4
Vegas Video 2.0d

(Just purchased)
MOTU 828 (8in8oot, Fizzy Wizzy!) ($699 @zzounds.com)
NetLux Firewire PCMCIA ($38 @Netlux.com)
2x Behringer ECM8000 condenser mics ($35 ea @8thStreet.com)
2x Hosa 8 Insert cable snakes ($27 ea @zzounds.com)

How I'm planning on setting it up:

First, this BBS is killer... it would have taken me 10x as long to think this all out if it wasn't for alot of the smarties on this thing... thanks abunch.

So, I wanted the ability to mix in software, or with the touchy feely faders on my mixer. I also wanted to be able to have 8 in and 8 out so i could do live work, as well as good layered stuff. I also wanted the system to be modularly expandable. I think this is a good start, some one tell me if they see any glaring holes.

Starting with the band, there will be 5 mics on the drums and 3 channels for the "rest" of the band, guitars and bass most likely direct to line on the mixer. Once in the mixer, go out the Insert jack of the MX2004 into the input of the MOTU 828 (x8) with the send. Then the Insert return will go into the respective Ouput on the MOTU. This will allow (i believe) me to monitor from the mixer, as long as i tell Vegas to play recording out through the correct port. And after the recording is done, i won't have to swap any cables to get into Mix mode, if i fancy using the faders to mix.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to add a firewire hdd at some point, as the laptop prolly just won't cut it for anything real. I've heard some people on here saying that the 828 sucks up all the bandwidth of firewire when it's lit up. I read on MOTU's site that you can run 4 828's on a single firewire bus, with no problem. The 828 uses 100mb/s MAX totally lit up.

I'll be sure to report on progress as it comes.... ahh, the long wait for shipping.....

(is it here yet?)

Thanks again guys.
Mo.

Back