Any Advantage to USB 2.0 on a 2x2 Interface?

joey_p77

I'm curious whether there is any advantage to having USB 2.0 on an interface with only 2 inputs (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Steinberg UR22).

I've heard that the higher bandwidth can start to make a difference with higher numbers of inputs, but when an interface can only accommodate 2 inputs, would there be any benefit at all to choosing a USB 2.0 model over USB 1.1 (say, Steniberg UR22 vs. Mackie Blackjack)?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking. The units you listed are USB2.0 devices. I haven't heard much about USB1.0 interfaces in a while. Not even sure there are any left that are USB1.0. Are there?

In terms of the bandwidth handling the load, you won't have any problems with USB 1.1 but one drawback I can see is that you'd most likely be buying a pretty old design so I'd worry about ongoing driver support etc.

As Jimmy says, the examples you listed are USB 2.0 anyhow.

So far as I can tell there are a number of 2x2 interfaces still on the market with USB 1.1. One is the Mackie Blackjack. Another is the steinberg C1.

Then there are a few interfaces explicitly advertised as USB 2.0 (eg the Focusrite 2i2).

My question is whether this is just an advertising gimmick or whether having USB 2.0 capability on a 2x2 interface would afford any real advantage.

I'm curious whether there is any advantage to having USB 2.0 on an interface with only 2 inputs (e.g. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Steinberg UR22).

I've heard that the higher bandwidth can start to make a difference with higher numbers of inputs, but when an interface can only accommodate 2 inputs, would there be any benefit at all to choosing a USB 2.0 model over USB 1.1 (say, Steniberg UR22 vs. Mackie Blackjack)?

You confused us a bit there by listing the UR22 as an example of both USB1.1 and USB2.

Anyhow, data throughput shouldn't be a real issue with a device handling only 2 in/2 out. However, as I said earlier, the use of USB 1.1 may be indicative of some pretty old technology. USB2 has been out since the year 2000 and there have been quite a few improvements in things like pre amp design since then. (I don't know when the Blackjack was first released but it would have been a strange decision to use USB1.1 if it was any time recent.

I do see one huge advantage of the Scarlett 2i2 though. It's mic pre amps are definitely better than most of its competitors.

The other thing I'd say is to check any interface on your shortlist and make sure it has direct hardware monitoring and up to date ASIO drivers including whatever operating system you plan to use. Things like that are rarely heavily publicised but can make a big difference.

Should be capable of higher sample rates than usb1.

I'd be surprised if anyone could find a USB1 device. USB1 was a very short lived release candidate that contained a number of design flaws. USB1.1 was released very soon after and was the first version to achieve common acceptance. In any case, the USB version is agnostic of sample rates and only cares about the total data throughput--and 1.1 is capable of plenty for a 2 channel device. However, for the reasons I mention above, I'd check out any USB1.1 interface pretty carefully. A few extra dollars might buy a rather longer service life.

Back