Another Protools question

bt3128

I have recorded many hours of voice over using an Mbox II Mini and a laptop pc. I record and save to an external usb2 hard drive. I decided to switch to a thumb drive. One less thing to plug in electrically, nice and small, and it won't crash. I don't use a preroll when I record but with the thumb drive, there is an annoying lag of a second or two before the program starts recording after I hit play. My Protools setup is the same whether I use the HDD or the thumb. How can I fix this?

I will be really grateful for any help.

Thanks

- Bob

Get a flash drive that isn't USB 1.1. xD
No, but seriously, it sounds to me like you're running some super ghetto old USB drive. Standard USB 2.0 is about 480 Mbps, so it shouldn't be causing any more of a lag than your USB 2.0 hard drive did.

I'm surprised Pro Tools let you record to a USB device. I though they had implemented a restriction against that.
Bottom line, record to an internal drive, or firewire/usb2-3 7200 drive at least.

This is a brand new USB2 64 gb drive. I've never had an issue with the external 7200 rpm hdd. In fact I can record fine using the flash drive except for the delay. It acts like a preroll and none is set. I even started a session as usual w/ hdd tested and switched to flash. Same result. Baffling. Which is why I'm here. :-)

Yup ntfs. The old way was, of course, working fine. I'm not crippled by this, but geez! I don't think the software should even know the difference. Glad for any suggestions.

- Bob

You're right; It's an odd one.

You'd expect limited bandwidth to produce errors and crashes rather than a delay.
Is there any chance you're plugged into a usb 1.1 port?

Long shot there.

All ports are usb2. I have another flash drive I will try tomorrow. Also usb2; older, 512MB - not useful in a working situation but a good comparison. if problem is specific to new drive, then it goes back from whence it came. Will post results. Thanks for helping me think through this.

- Bob

Steenamaroo -
Couldn't wait til morning. I apparently have acquired a defective flash drive. Recording to external usb hdd is glitch free. Recording to known good flash drive is also glitch free. New flash drive will be returned to the vendor from whence it came. There is even a pause before saving a simple Word document. Also, the thing gets too warm. If I had just been a bit more thorough in my troubleshooting, these posts would have been unnecessary. But its been nice talking to you.

btw - I think the reason I can successfully record to usb w/ PT is that as a voiceover, I only lay down single monaural tracks. Not much data compared to voice plus midi or even a small music ensemble

Have a nice day.

- Bob

Back