Another E-MU 1212 Question

Anybody here know the configuration in patchmix DSP?
I'm getting no signal on A DAT deck when I go out of
card via optical.

Pretty sketchy info there. 'A DAT deck' or 'ADAT'?
Two different formats and decks of course.
-Optical in with the card out as the source presumably? Recorder set to see optical digi input?
What have you done so far as to a config?
Better to get specific rather than having someone 'guess what or where you're at.

Digital Audio Tape is set correctly.I've never used the digital output
on the card.I've tried both the coax and opticle outs on the card to
the DAT and to A Pioneer audio/video reciever.I think It has to do with
the patchmix configuration.

Not a Scooby really except you must surely ensure the DAT is the sync master and the card the slave?

Dave.

The optical output of the card is labeled ADAT and the coaxial output is labeled S/PDIF. The coaxial is the sure bet since its S/PDIF signal is what a 2-channel DAT machine and the receiver should be able to receive, if the sample rate and bit depth are compatible. The optical ADAT output is expressly to send and 8-channel digital signal, but it's possible that you could configure it to carry an optical S/PDIF signal as well.

Devices like the DAT machine and the receiver "should" automatically sync directly from whatever digital input is selected. But if the signal is above 48kHz sample rate older devices might not recognize it.

"Devices like the DAT machine and the receiver "should" automatically sync directly from whatever digital input is selected. "
But it is the Emu card that needs the DAT clock BSG. If I want to feed S/PDIF into my M-A 2496 I have to change the sync setting from internal to external. I would bet the OP's card would be the same.

Dave.

Digital Audio Tape is set correctly.

I've never used the digital output on the card.
I've tried both the coax and opticle outs on the card..
Slow down, and think about what you just said.

I think It has to do with the patchmix configuration.
You were asked what you have- on your config.

Dave said:
Not a Scooby really except you must surely ensure the DAT is the sync master and the card the slave?
That would apply if he was playing digi-out from the DAT. It would seem (yet did he actually say?... he's recording into a DAT. DAT would look for Ext. Digi input for source and clock. (either SPDIF Optical- or SPDIF coax.

Now. What is/are the configurations you've tried?
When I had that card I found they offered several various types. I had to sort through them and begin saving my own versions before getting it sorted out.
But that's exacatly what's needed here.

The optical output of the card is labeled ADAT and the coaxial output is labeled S/PDIF. The coaxial is the sure bet since its S/PDIF signal is what a 2-channel DAT machine and the receiver should be able to receive, if the sample rate and bit depth are compatible. The optical ADAT output is expressly to send and 8-channel digital signal, but it's possible that you could configure it to carry an optical S/PDIF signal as well.

Devices like the DAT machine and the receiver "should" automatically sync directly from whatever digital input is selected. But if the signal is above 48kHz sample rate older devices might not recognize it.

Here's a question.. Will a 16bit DAT balk at a 24bit input stream ?... even if he's got the sample rates right.

Here's a question.. Will a 16bit DAT balk at a 24bit input stream ?... even if he's got the sample rates right.

I don't know. I'm pretty sure my receiver accepts 24 bit. Maybe it just truncates. I should drag the DAT out and see what it does. It wouldn't surprise me if it gives an error message with a 24 bit audio stream.

Thanks guys for your input.I'm not recording with the DAT,
just thought I could use the I/O's instead of RCA's.Time
to invest in a ADAT.Trying to do this without the right
equipment reminds me of the RAIDERS thinking they can
win with Conner Cook as the QB !

Back