Another dummy with an IMAC - now what should I buy?

Clem97

Hey everybody this is my first post - I have an IMAC and would like to use it to produce cd's and mp3's of original music. I want to be able to record and mix live voice, instrumentals, and midi files. I'm considering buying the Bias Deck VST 3.0 Multitrack Audio Editing software and I wonder if there's anyone out there that has experience with it or could recommend something better. I also am unsure about what soundcard I should buy and what cd burner if anybody has any suggestions about that. I more than likely will record one track at a time - so will one of the cheaper soundcards work or is there a sound quality issue? HMMMMM. Ok thanks.

A computer shold be your first purchase:D

No really, your options are limited to USB devices, no? Look around here for posts on USB and/or laptop recording. There are a few audio interfaces with USB but I haven't tried any so I cannot make recommendations.Same thing goes for CD burners.

As for SW, I'm not a Mac person so I don't know.

The newer DV iMacs have a FireWire port... there is one FireWire audio interface out now, the MOTU 828, a bit pricey. Others are bound to follow soon. You don't happen to have one of thoseiMacs, do you?

what a difference a day makes

Well I did a little research, and funny you should mention the Motu 828 - that's what I had decided on, and I'm gonna get an IMAC too if I can find the money. Do you have an opinion about AudioDesk (it comes bundled with the Motu). It sounds like its way over my head but I want room to grow. My question of the day is -- if I get all of the above, I'm assuming I won't need an external CD burner since the Imac has a built in cd drive??? Or am I wrong. Thanks to everyone for their help...

Bryan

Why do you want to buy an iMac in the first place? They're utter crap i.m.o. Get a real computer instead, not just a large calculator.

The built in CD player is presumably just that, a player. I'm pretty sure you need to get an external burner.

ola said:
Why do you want to buy an iMac in the first place? They're utter crap i.m.o. Get a real computer instead, not just a large calculator.

The built in CD player is presumably just that, a player. I'm pretty sure you need to get an external burner.

Well, utter crap is in the eye of the beholder. The new Mac OS has proven a worthy investment for some, with its traditional pristine user interface, and stability to match. I am a PC user and wouldn't touch any mac with a 30 foot pole, or a large trout, but the newer macs are capable video production machines, for someone who wants to grasp more understanding. As for DAWs, if you can get some software, I don't see why not, if you like hassles. It'd just be a lot easier, with more options with a PC. Macs are not utter crap, they are just not the best option. If you can, I'd avoid them. Unless you want to make some novice movies. But then, that would be another BBS.

If only they didn't throw away the legacy support.

Right about the CD drive though, you're gonna have to buy an external USB burner. If you like music on CDs, that is. Those external drives really stack up.

rivercity said:
with its traditional pristine user interface, and stability to match
He he, pristine user interface is in the eye of the beholder as well:)

Any computer that matches the stability of the iMac I use is best off as an anchor. Trust me, this Mac hangs at least once per hours. I hate it. I only use it because the web stuff I produce has to be Mac compatible.

I used to work with Macs and I've never seen any proof of this unmatched stability. They bomb more than any PC hangs but with Macs, you never know why and you cannot do anything about it:)

Just my two cents

/Ola

ola said:

They bomb more than any PC hangs but with Macs, you never know why and you cannot do anything about it:)

Just my two cents

/Ola

And that's why I don't use macs. I don't think any PC will be more stable though, Windows 98 was a neverending hassle, until Win2k saved the day.

Ha ha, you're right. I've nearly forgotten the days of w98... I've been using w2k since half a year before it was released and I've never had it crash unless I messed up. Knock on wood.

I stil use w98 but I have just a few non W2k compatible games on it and as long as you keep the number of apps to a minimum, it works OK.

Cheers

/O

Back