Analog workflow gone wild: 8-track reel-to-reel + SSL channel strip

aguynamedben

Hi! I'm a software engineer and I code on computers for 12 hours a day. I also write and record music and put out albums (not just tinkering for fun). When I get home I just can't look at a computer anymore. I don't want to get my MacBook out of my backpack to work on songs or lay down tracks, and I'm willing to take on constraints if it helps me avoid computer screens. Here's what I want:

- 8-track (or 16-track) reel-to-reel recording workflow. I'm okay with the limitations of 8 tracks. I'm okay with hitting a button and waiting to rewind. I'm okay with punching in. I'm okay with not being able to comp a vocal. I'm okay with digital recording, I'm not an analog purist, I just don't want to look at a screen.
- 8-track (or 16-track) mixing with EQ and compression. SSL is the gold standard because the dynamics and EQ are in one simple interface and on every channel. I'm okay committing to a sound and not having every last effect onboard. I just want to be able to EQ/compress each channel during mixing. Ideally I'd have an SSL channel strip/fat channel for mixing and that's it. I can do all other effects on the way in.

How I see my options:
- Presonus SudioLive Series III. Lacks non-live recording capabilities (?). Amazing mixing with fat channel, so-so recording capabilities geared for live recording (at least it seems, somebody correct me if this fulfills my dreams).
- Tascam Portastudios (DP-03 or DP-24). Lacks compression on non-input channels. These look perfect except they don't have compression on each channel. Given my preference for simplicity, not having compression during mixing makes me sad. I could use the DP-24 with an outboard compressor, maybe that's the best option. If the DP-03 had compression on each channel (or the Zoom R-16 did) that would be ideal.
- A digital mixer with an old ADAT machine. Large and clunky. The ADAT machines seem unnecessarily large and unsupported. I'm fine with modern digital technology if it suits my workflow. Is there a compact version of an ADAT that has proper transport control?

What else is there? No screens allowed. Crappy LCDs as found on the Tascam or StudioLive are fine, I just don't want to be looking at a screen all day.

Thank you for your help. I'm new here and happy to learn.
–Ben

I think you need to put this in the analog forum --- not the digital forum. :)

Or wait ... I'm confused. You say "8-track reel to reel" in the thread title, but then you mention some digital portastudios/recorders in the post.

And then you say "no screens allowed." All of the digital portastudios you named (Tascam, Zoom) will have a screen --- not a huge screen, but it's a screen.

Which is it?

Hey, thank you for trying to help.

I'd like to mirror an 8-track reel-to-reel + SSL channel strip workflow, but I don't mind if it takes digital technology to do it. I just don't want to be looking at large LCD screens and menu diving a bunch. I don't want to have 1,000 VST/AU presets. I really only care about recording, EQ, and compression. Does that make more sense? Sorry for the ambiguous question.

One of the A&H or Soundcraft mixers that record to HDD? The current issue of Sound on Sound have a review of the Zoom L12 . Looks V good but might not meet your compressor requirement? There is also a review of the DigiCo S21. Bet that would suit but lot of $$$!

Dave.

Back