Analog Cassette to Digital Transfer

This deck (technics rs-b50) doesn't have any output volume control. So for the material that is too hot, set the input channel to unity, plug into the front so I can adjust gain to get the master fader as close to -18dbfs on its scale?

I wouldn't worry about having level controls. The dynamic range of cassette will fit withing the dynamic range of 24 bit digital with a huge margin at both ends. Figure something like 73dB at best for cassette. Given the 146dB (or whatever it is) of digital you can be peaking at -27dB and your tape's noise floor will be close to the noise floor of the analog signal path and way above the noise floor of 24 bit digital.

You aren't setting faders, leave the faders alone. (at 0/unity)

just plug into the line inputs, set all the faders in the box at zero and hit record.

The reason to not set levels in the computer is because the faders in the computer are setting the level of what is already recorded. The converters are in the interface, the levels that hit the converters are what you need to worry about. By the time it hits the computer, it's too late to change the level.

Anyway, again, leave the faders in the DAW alone, plug into the line inputs and record your stuff. It will work fine. There is no level that could be on the cassette that will clip the converters if you go into the line inputs.

Thanks guys.

Now I just need to figure out why this machine died on me after an hour of use! Damn you, Ebayers

I did a transfer a couple of nights ago and I had to have the cover off the deck so I could mess with the transport now and then. Cassette decks are a bit delicate and they're almost all old now.

So I did get the deck working again. I had to tilt it back (away from me), and suddenly it plays tapes. Go figure.

So I put the channel at unity, and it does in fact clip now on the improperly recorded material. Should I just set the channel level lower, or am I better off plugging into the front of the interface (the xlr/line inputs) where I can adjust gain with the knobs? The latter seems more imprecise because I might not adjust left and right exactly the same. Would that cause phase issues?

Here's the part that you seem to be missing: By the time the audio hits the channel controls in the computer, you have already clipped the converters. You cannot adjust recording level from inside the DAW.

So you have to plug into the front and use the input level on the interface to adjust the recording level.

Thanks guys. I am plugged into the front, and the transfer seems to be going smoothly now.

Back