Amplitube, wait and read the post before judgemnt.

delirium trigge

I have been looking for a way to write riffs, as well as vocals, etc. Without having to turn everything on in my home studio, Without even having to be at home.

When the ipad first came out and the first iRig came out, it was neat, but it didn't quite give the results. I have noticed the iRig HD drastically changes that. It comes with a USB connector to be an import into the computer to use the amplitube on there or on the ipad. This isn't a commercial for Amplitube.

But I had been away from amplitube for a while and I didn't believe how far they had came, They learned from their mistakes and this is a valuable tool. For those of you, who simply don't want to write the song but looking for the sorceress stone that does it for you, of course this doesn't make sense.

The song can always be written with a sheet of paper and a guitar riff, but I was blown away and how far this has come. It used to just be this way for guitar players to write guitar riffs and record them. They are getting to the point, to where it's so high quality, you can transfer it to a DAW and, you start realizing, wow, this piece of technology could take us to the next level.

Anyone else here have the iRig HD? NOT the iRig but the iRig HD. They have the same name, but when you use one it's a vastly different thing. Almost scary that they were able to do that.

I was never a fan of writing on the iPad, but they got a full fledged DAW on there now and not only that, the same exact thing that goes on on the ipad gets transferred to the PC/Mac. Up to 96k. Most of us record at 48 K. It has a pre amp inside of it so if you are playing metal, for etc, it doesn't sound weak like the original iRig which had no pre amp, it was simply an adapter.

To top it off, they include for free, the amplitude metal expansion pack for PC/MAC and then on the iPad it unlocks all the cool amps, if you play that style of music.

Metronome, tuners, everything I could possibly want is in that program.

I know the cynics will say, "Well it don't sound like when I record a song on pro tools." Of course not, but how are you going to get the idea to record something in pro tools? You can theoretically record something on a tape recorder instead but these brings it to a whole new level of innovation.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a toy like the original iRig and amplitube for ipad. I didn't understand how much it has evolved. And if you are on travel, and if you have your pro tools/Logic and you have your laptop with you, the same thing that plugs in the ipad will plug in your PC/Mac via a USB and the pre amp is so good it sounds like you recorded the riff from a very nice interface. It doesn't just sound like it, that is what they are doing.

Just wanted to give a heads up to guys who have ipads and are using them to get down ideas and write songs before they feel like sitting in pro tools and taking 2 days off to make a pro recording, That's a heck of a tool. A cheap heck of a tool.

I use garageband on the ipad, but I use all the amplitude sounds. If you don't wanna use garageband, amplitube, within side the program has a full fledged DAW, that even surpasses garageband. If you feel like you need that. If not, it has another recorded.

To most of us who have been doing it for a while, it's easy to look at that as something as a toy or something we won't really use. And that used to be the case. But wow, they've blown my mind with how far they were willing to go with it.

I know there will be a cynic that claims its not good enough for him, to each his own. But to anyone who's serious about getting ideas down. It's possible your real recordings in pro tools will be very prepared for and sound much better because you spent the time ahead of time piecing it together in this amazing piece of software.

To anyone interested, I know the irig is cheap, but go ahead and spend the 99 dollars on the irig HD. You'll see why that's a different ball game.

Way a:Dhead of you. Got one the day it came out! LOLView attachment 86732

Then you realize, this is a huge deal. People who don't have one, don't realize, it's a HUGE deal. And I don't want to embellish. But that might be the best writing tool we've ever seen.

Before all we had was field recorders. Problem with field recorders is they don't have amp sims. If they do throw one in there, it's no where near as realistic as this sounds.

Did you hear the randall warhead and 5150 on this thing? If you record that, and record a real 5150 it sounds like the same thing. That's CRAZY. It blew my mind. *Disclaimer* I did not say your computer speakers, ipad speakers, headphones, sound like a real 5150. I said if you record that amp sim in a real recording, for writing or for the real deal and mix it with the rest of the stuff, it's super hard tell the difference.

I have the iRig HD which is like the iRig pro you have there. Mine just does guitar. Yours does the mic, the midi, etc. The only reason I didn't go for that one, is I have this very nice mic that plugs into the ipad for writing.

But as far as recording the real song, not only would I use this to record to write music... I'd use it to record the real song in Logic X/Pro Tools. It really is that good.

Let me ask you a question, I know the amplitude on the ipad has two different recorders. I have the old recorder it has on there. Did you go ahead and get the full DAW that's on there or did you use garage band for ipad for that?

I have a saffire pro 40 for my interface which is in my recording rack. I find myself just using this thing because the pre amp is so good on it. The pre amp in the irgig pro and the irig HD, I DID NOT EXPECT that.

It made all the difference in the world! Before these came out the sound was not good at all. IK has definitely stepped up their game. I just use GB, but I'm sure their DAW is also good. Some of their mastering plug-ins are also good. The mini-controllers are also good. If people have not used these because they bought the iRig when it first came out they need to try these, because there is definitely a quantum leap in the sound quality.

It doesn't, but there aren't very many music apps for the Windows OS. I'm talking phones and tablets. The stuff that they do make for Windows OS works well. The device that we are talking about is an interface/preamp for ios devices. The company also makes soft-synths, guitar sims, fx apps, and mastering tools. All of them good

Last edited:
Sorry, I saw the device dangling in front of your Windows screen and had read it was for Mac and iOS only...thought you'd found a work around.

Sorry, I saw the device dangling in front of your Windows screen and had read it was for Mac and iOS only...thought you'd found a work around.
I take that back. I just Googled the question, Can the iRig HD and HD Pro be used with Windows OS? There is apparently a workaround now. The thing is though, if you already have an interface that you're using with Windows, you won't need this one. I only bought it so that I can take advantage of all the great apps made for the ios. Anyway, the answer now is apparently yes. :D

Actually it does work for the mac. I don't know about windows PC. But it works for the mac. I assumed it would work for the windows PC. It comes with three connectors, one for the old 30-pin iphone/ipad one of the new lightning connectors for the new ipad mini retina/Iphone 5 and then it comes with a USB connector.

THAT is what I use on my mac. Even though I have very nice pre amps and a nice interface. I still find myself just using the irig because the pre amp in it, seems to be built exactly the way a guitarist wants the pre amp to sound.

Now again, I'm not comparing it to top notch gear. I'm saying, if you want to write and demo some songs and sometimes you don't do it because of all the gear you got to plug in, pre amp, interface, bring up pro tools/logic/reaper, start a new project, run it to your external HD, etc etc

THIS tool is finally the tool that will allow you to think of an idea and get it out quickly and it not sound like crap so you can still let people hear it.

I've now started using it so people in my band can take home the song I wrote and learn it. Before I dreaded doing that for them because I knew I had to start a new logic project, try to make it sound decent, hook up a guitar pre amp to it, (hd500 for demo's) and wouldn't feel like it.

On the real recordings, when it's not to let the band hear it, I had to mic my mesa cabinet, take out microphones, run them through a pre amp, run that through the interface, run that through an external HD. It becomes a whole day event. Which is fine if it's set that we are gonna record an EP and we are prepared.

But as far as off the wall, "I need to record this idea now." There is no better writing tool than this.

BTW, to the other guy, I'm not sure which ipad you have. But the way I do vocals or acoustic guitar with a good condensor mic is I use the zoom h4n. Now here is a secret that you might find useful, if you have a zoom h1 h4n h6 or anything with a really good condensor mic on it.

The old ipads would run them fine. The new ipads, like mine, say "Not enough power to run this device." Plug it in a cheap NON POWERED usb hub, then plug it in the camera connector for ipad which is a usb port for the ipad and then it works because the batteries in the H4n give it the power, but the ipad.

Some people assumed you had to have a powered USB hub to make it work. You don't. You just got to have a cheap little usb hub. I got a travel size one. Fits in my book bag easy. Plug the h4n into that little hub, then into the USB camera connection cable to the ipad mini retina and boom, you have amazing quality condensor mics for vocals and acoustic guitar.

Plus the zoom h4n also has two XLR/guitar inputs. So you could plug a guitar, bass, or another kind of microphone in there as well. Put it in interface mode and it works as an interface just like on the computer.

SAME deal for computer interfaces except, they do have to have power. Like the m-audio fast track pro. If you plug it into the wall and plug it into the the ipad it'll say it doesn't have enough power to run it. But if you plug it in the travel size USB hub with no power, it runs it. And then you can use the same interface you can use on the computer as long as it's USB.

What I do, is carry my zoom h4n in my acoustic case. Because the only time I would use it would be for recording acoustic through the condensor mics. And then I keep the USB hub and camera connection kit in my book bag with the ipad mini retina.

I am using garageband right now. Which seems okay. Although the amplitube studio seems way more advanced. But it cost 15 dollars. And I don't have 15 dollars right now. lol It says its supposed to be 9.99 if you bought the rest of it. And I did. And it still wants 15 dollars.

The iRig HD unlocks amplitube metal for free, which cost 99 dollars on it's own anyway, on the computer version of amplitube. And then it unlocks more amps like the 5150 on the ipad and iphone, for free.

It pays for it's self, quite literally. I would have bought the amplitube metal for 99 bucks anyway. But they just gave it to me.

These plug ins work great in pro tools/logic.

One last thing, people always want great cab impulses/sims for amps they find to download. And it's hard to find a good cab sim. Amplitube has the BEST cab sims. Right now I am using the Orange PPC 412 with an SM57 and a 609 with a randall warhead on my mac. With the ipad, I use the 5150 more.

But all the great free amps out there online today that you can use in your DAW have been great, yet lacked the cabs to make it sound like it needed. Amplitube has those cabs. And then it has the simulated mics you need to not only give you the cab but to give you the sound of what it sounds like mic'd up to that mic.

I actually own a lot of the cabs and mics in real life that I use in amplitube and on a recording it sounds like the same thing. I have the e906 instead of the 609 in real life and I've mic'd my mesa cab with that and an sm57 plenty of times. On amplitube, I can mic the mesa the same way and it actually sounds the same way.

When I first got amplitube it was nothing like this. They've stepped it up greatly. I guess with axe fx, and hardware being able to do it. They have now figured out how to do it in plug ins in software.

He won't need it, but think about it.. If you're doing a quick recording a need a good pre amp guitar sound, why go through my rack and saffire pro 40 if I can use the irig HD. And he might need it just to be able to get amplitube metal for free. The iRig HD came with that. The iRig pro I imagine comes with that.

Back