amd64 3,2 too noisy :(

lukgier

hi guys,

I've just installed my new system - gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939 with amd64 box 3,2 Ghz .
My previous system was Athlon 2,5Ghz box which worked at 3000 rpm and was extremely quiet.

I thought it'd be the same with amd64 but I was wrong. It operates at around 4500 rpm and is very noisy.
I've heard that there's a chance to slow it down to 3000rpm but I don't know how.

Could you tell me how to do it?
What cooler would you recommend for my amd64 system?

lG

This may just be a very stupid question but: rpm on a cpu? Those things don't move at all...?

If you mean the speed of the CPU fan, that's something you will need controller for. It might not be so smart to lower the speed either. Check the temperature of the CPU before you try slowing the fan down. You can check this in the BIOS.

You could get a (more expensive) quiter cooling system for you CPU, or even go passive/watercooling all the way.

CPUs don't spin. If they do, you have bigger problems than anyone else here. Get a Zalman or Nexus heatsink.

you laughed mi to death. hehe that was good with the spinning cpu! That might be a serious problem.
Thanks god it meant the fan! :)

The Zalman CPU fan/heatsink works really well, go with the Artic Silver thermal compound and you'll be able to keep the CPU under 50C even at the minimum speed, which is pretty much dead silent.

Back