AMD processors

memphissound

I already have access to a computer with an AMD processor. I was considering the Layla card for this computer, but noticed that the AMD Athlon had some compatibiliy issues. Unfortunately I don't know, at least off-hand, which AMD processor this computer has. Is anybody aware of compatibility issues with other AMD chips and the Layla board? Does anybody have a suggestion on a better card?

AMD and many soundcards dont work, Its not the soundcards fault. Don't go running out looking for an AMD compatable card cause you are going to have problems with almost every single card you try. I am not saying that you won't get them to work but its going to be a bitch. I know first hand about the Layla, trust me don't even attempt an install with an AMD it will only make you rip your hair out.

Shakes,

Have you hugged your JoeMeek today?

I dont know about the Event cards but..... I have used my MAudio Delta 66 with an AMD K6-2/500 on an Epox MVP3G2 motherboard with no problems at all....and recently upgraded the processor to Athlon 900 on Epox EP-8KTA motherboard, with no problems(so far). Both of these boards have VIA chipsets.

Oh ya, and the Delta 66 sounds GREAT! Check it out.

thanks...

I appreciate the tips. I thought I heard rumors of the AMD processors not working with a number of sound cards. I've always had Intel chips at work and was familiar enough with them, but I'm getting this AMD machine for free (long story, and I may get what I pay for). So I also went to the source...

I contacted the AMD people and asked them for their recommendations and the first place they sent me was to M-audio. At the M-audio web-site they specifically mention that their card works well with the AMD processor. And the price at the M-audio web-site makes this look like a great deal. http://www.midiman.com/m-audio/product.htm

MrBoogie, glad to know there is someone out there with some hands on experience. Just for reference, which software package do you run?

Well, my main one is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9, along with Wavelab...and sometimes Sound Forge. I can't get Sound Forge to work with 24bit/96kHz, so's I use Wavelab when I need to edit high res audio from Cakewalk. Anyway, I think I'm starting to like Wavelab better than SF.
I played around with Cubase for a while, but overall, I am more familiar with Cakewalk, and like it better(even though Cubase is "prettier"). They both performed fine on my system, though.
If you decide to get one of the Delta cards(M Audio), check out the price at http://www.bayviewproaudio.com. I got my Delta 66 for $299. That's a hell of a deal!!!

Good Luck!
Romeo

Back