Alternatives to Alesis HD24/Mackie SDR24

nate_dennis

I really love the idea of working with tape. I am, however, coming to grips with the facts: i have neither the time, space, nor money to invest in an analog set up. I want a recorder that gets out of my way. I don't really want an all-in-one unit. I want to be able to use outboard effects, add new/different compressors, and use an analog mixer. So far I have found the Alesis ADAT HD24. It's a hard disk recorder that operates, basically, in the same capacity as a tape machine. It records. That's it. The Mackie is much the same. However....

I don't neccissarily need 24 tracks and these two machines seem a bit pricey. Can anyone recommend a machine with 8-16 tracks that works in the same vein as these two? Or maybe another 24 track recorder that is less expensive. Used is always an option for me. Thank you all so much.

I'm very excited by both the D-108 and the 160. I think I might splurge (when I get that far) and go with the 160 but who knows. Do you have any experience with these?

Thanks for sharing.

Nah, I just saw it while I was messing around on Ebay. It looks like a good deal. I don't really know what that unit is worth brand new.

This is exactly how my studio operates, record into a 24 channel hard disk recorder and mix by playing the 24 tracks back through the analog desk and the outboard equipment.

I use a Tascam MX2424 with analog in/out option (this is important as some came with digital in/out options) Second hand these go for under $1000. Think about it 24 channels of analog to digital in/outs plus recording, you view the wave files and do simple editing via a PC or Mac linked via ethernet.

The only downside is that they use scsi drives so you have to buy a few of these, however over on the tascam forums there is a guy that has got a machine converted to use sata drives.

Here is a link to a review, it's an early review and some of the issues they talk about have been resolved, also there is a good network of users that have a lot of operation answers.

Alan.

Well, what you want in a recorder does exist- TASCAM ADAT machines are common as nails, these days, and don't sell for much more :D As they use a VHS transport, they often show transport issues on their self-diagnosis error messages. Some of those error messages do not stop the machine from functioning, some do.

TASCAM was one of three companies who made the same basic machine, although none of the three are compatable with the others. The HD24 is the only one still being made (to my knowledge) and although it uses now-obsolete IDE hard drives, a smart cookie has figured out how to put together drive bays that use SATA drives. The HD24 is still used by some pros, primarily for live concert recording, so frankly, the price is unlikely to come down, any time soon.

Fostex D-1624. You may have to look for a little while on Ebay but they shouldn't cost too much.
I have one that I've been using for about 7 or 8 years and it's rock solid.
I also have a friend with a semi-commercial studio who's had 4 of them that he says the same about ..... no glitches ..... no problems.

Well, what you want in a recorder does exist- TASCAM ADAT machines are common as nails, these days, and don't sell for much more :D As they use a VHS transport, they often show transport issues on their self-diagnosis error messages. Some of those error messages do not stop the machine from functioning, some do.

TASCAM was one of three companies who made the same basic machine, although none of the three are compatable with the others. The HD24 is the only one still being made (to my knowledge) and although it uses now-obsolete IDE hard drives, a smart cookie has figured out how to put together drive bays that use SATA drives. The HD24 is still used by some pros, primarily for live concert recording, so frankly, the price is unlikely to come down, any time soon.

Wrong on a couple of things. TASCAM never made a VHS based digital recorder. there's was a DTRS system using the hi-band 8mm video tape format. The Alesis HD24 is no longer made and is barely supported by the company. I have one and am pleased with the audio performance but it is an absolute pig to use in many critical areas. The BRC remote, a hold over from the ADAT system, only sort of works with it.

Well, what you want in a recorder does exist- TASCAM ADAT machines are common as nails, these days, and don't sell for much more :D

Completely wrong reply, The machine I recommended, the MX2424, is a hard disc recorder, does not use tape at all. It just behaves like a tape machine, record, play, rewind, forward, buttons. Old but expensive technology that you can buy cheap now.

Alan.

Hey Alan, you answered some q's for me a while back..it really helped.

Hi all, and hey Alan, the guy who helped me out quite a bit last visit.

Anybody know how the serial numbers on the Tascam MX2424 Recorders translate?

My guess is that they are fairly logical, lower numbers = earlier production date, but that's often not the case
with equipment.

I have a few... They are: 001805

I am also curious about one analogue card on one of them:
Model IF AN24 (the only model for that unit)
Serial number 1310
(That card is in the recorder, with S/N 001805,
pretty sure they shipped together)

I was told that the earlier MX2424 units are more desirable. Is this because the analogue cards were better, or does
anyone know? Thanks, Dan

Hi all, and hey Alan, the guy who helped me out quite a bit last visit.

Anybody know how the serial numbers on the Tascam MX2424 Recorders translate?

My guess is that they are fairly logical, lower numbers = earlier production date, but that's often not the case
with equipment.

I have a few... They are: 001805

I am also curious about one analogue card on one of them:
Model IF AN24 (the only model for that unit)
Serial number 1310
(That card is in the recorder, with S/N 001805,
pretty sure they shipped together)

I was told that the earlier MX2424 units are more desirable. Is this because the analogue cards were better, or does
anyone know? Thanks, Dan

Don't know about the serial numbers, but I would think that the low numbers are first made.

I have not heard anything about the analog cards being different and I have two and they seem the same, however the early machines did not have as good a power supply as the later machines unless that was retrofitted under warranty. There were power supply problems in the early days. Also all the early machines only had 128mb of ram fitted from the factory where the later had 256mb required to run the later operating system. Tascam did however supply the ram upgrade for free so most would have been up dated.

The only change to the analog card that I know of was when they released the card for the X-48, they had to rework the layout to fit 2 in the machine, I would reckon that the cards electrically are the same.

Alan.

Back