Alternative to Garageband drummer for PC?

imsharris

I have been searching and searching but not really finding exactly what I am looking. I am trying to find something that would be a good PC alternative to the "drummer" in Garageband. That program makes it so easy to drop in premade drum tracks and that is really what I am looking for. I love the fact that all I really have to do is stretch the track out the same length as the song and then really just go back and kind of tweak a few sections. So far it has done a great job of being pretty intuitive.

The reason that I am looking for an alternative is because I would like to be able to work on these tracks while I am out and about but my newest laptop is PC. I use my MacBook at home but it getting pretty old, takes a long time to boot up, and honestly is a lot bigger than anything new. I am used to using Adobe Audition on the PC side but I really like the simplicity of Garageband for quick works. I would like to start doing more with my Surface Pro 4 but so far have not found that real alternative. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

That was one of the problems. There are a ton so I was hoping to get a few suggestions from people that have used Garageband and some other things as well and they can do a real comparison of them.

Is EZ Drummer just a stripped down version of Superior Drummer? Just wondering because of price. I am not really needing this for recording but more for just use at home and the occasional live situation.

EZ Drummer is not exactly a "stripped down version" of Superior Drummer, though you can look at it that way. It's designed more for the songwriter who wants a quick, easy way to drag/drop drum tracks without too much tweaking. The new SD3 can do that too, but has a much better sample selection and can also do more "edit/mixing" tasks better and easier than EZ can.

You have to also realize then EZ and SD are just drum apps...you can't use them a like a multitrack DAW to record other tracks....you use them within a DAW (or standalone) to add drum tracks.

If you're really stuck on GB...just do this:

Record and Edit Audio with Garageband for Windows

Most likely, you'll find Superior Drummer useful. If you want more production and mixing abilities, go with Superior. If you want a pre-mixed, easy-access drum program, go with EZ. What's the end product going to be?

Really this will only be used for practicing and home use. I will use it for some limited live use when I am not playing with a regular drummer. It will not be used really for recording other than demo-type or practice tracks.

EZ Drummer sounds like more than enough. I use 2 and was considering updating to 3 because it's supposed to be much better, and the newer packs (as well as latest updates to the ones I have) require it, which you will probably end up needing since it doesn't sound like you're going to be programming the drums yourself.

By all reports, Superior Drummer is everything folks here and elsewhere say it is, but it's a big bump in price. I never even tried it though because it's just not something I'd get a lot of use from.

I abandoned my thinking around moving to 3 when the "Drummers" in Logic were updated to include some with the kind of styles I might use, which is maybe once/year, since most of what I do at home is more "back-porch" drum-free fooling around.

I was kind of thinking that EZ might be enough. Really mine is more for just playing around with. No serious recording with it or anything like that. Initially I am sure that I would not be programming the drums myself. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing around with the drum parts. Mostly just want to drag something in.

I was kind of thinking that EZ might be enough. Really mine is more for just playing around with. No serious recording with it or anything like that. Initially I am sure that I would not be programming the drums myself. I don't want to spend a lot of time messing around with the drum parts. Mostly just want to drag something in.
Based on my experience with EZD2, it should be good. Lots of different beats with variations for chorus, verse, fills. Just pick a style and start listening. Plan to budget for an expansion pack or two.

One good thing is it will be usable in GarageBand if you want to use it there. It's just a VI plugin with a bunch of loops and drum kits, depending on how much you expand it.

P.S. I posted a song in the Show Off Forum (guess I was feeling pretty good about the EZD2 stuff), Sweet Tequila Blues, that has EZD2 kind of in the background. The loops are probably from the Nashville pack.

Based on my experience with EZD2, it should be good. Lots of different beats with variations for chorus, verse, fills. Just pick a style and start listening. Plan to budget for an expansion pack or two.

One good thing is it will be usable in GarageBand if you want to use it there. It's just a VI plugin with a bunch of loops and drum kits, depending on how much you expand it.

P.S. I posted a song in the Show Off Forum (guess I was feeling pretty good about the EZD2 stuff), Sweet Tequila Blues, that has EZD2 kind of in the background. The loops are probably from the Nashville pack.

I will check it out! Thanks!

EZ Drummer sounds like more than enough. I use 2 and was considering updating to 3 because it's supposed to be much better, and the newer packs (as well as latest updates to the ones I have) require it, which you will probably end up needing since it doesn't sound like you're going to be programming the drums yourself.

By all reports, Superior Drummer is everything folks here and elsewhere say it is, but it's a big bump in price. I never even tried it though because it's just not something I'd get a lot of use from.

I abandoned my thinking around moving to 3 when the "Drummers" in Logic were updated to include some with the kind of styles I might use, which is maybe once/year, since most of what I do at home is more "back-porch" drum-free fooling around.

There's an EZ Drummer 3?

EZD2 is so much better than 1. 1 only has short single bar loops, 2 has long phrases that you can dial in how many hits on each drum/cymbal for more variation, including things like ghost hits.

I think EZD is the right choice as well. Plus if you do upgrade later, all of your stuff will work with with SD. I would also recommend for variety, get you some of the MIDI packs. Watch for them to be on sale.

IMO if you know how to use EZD's Grooves in your DAW, it doesn't have to sound like canned software. Like taking the grooves, that are labeled (I think EZ does this), pre, verses, fills, etc. Drag those into the MIDI track and arrange them in a way that makes your song feel more like someone is actually there playing. To me that is the key to make sequenced drums sound more real. You can also create your own and edit the ones they have.

EZD is a very versatile little program and really for the solo artist, worth the money. I think that should be your first main program to purchase for recording. Makes a world of difference when playing and composing.

My humble opinion.

I think that I may try out the free 10-day demo. It sounds like just what I am looking for right now. Thanks so much for the help!

Oh, one more question about the EZd. As far as the expansion packs go, are there enough included with the initial program to keep me interested for awhile or will I need to immediately start buying the expansion packs?

If you're cheap like me, MTPowerDrummer. You will not believe this is free. It has some limitations compared with EZDrummer, like only 8 outputs but again, it's FREE and a really good program!!

I think that I may try out the free 10-day demo. It sounds like just what I am looking for right now. Thanks so much for the help!

Oh, one more question about the EZd. As far as the expansion packs go, are there enough included with the initial program to keep me interested for awhile or will I need to immediately start buying the expansion packs?
Yes, getting started the sound packs and grooves wiht the basic package are all you need. Then you can add expansion packs (wait until they are on sale) to add some more choices.

Back