Is all Firewire created =?

I'm looking at buying laptop after getting shot down by apl
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=167120
Actually, truth be known it was a choice between running the new firepod through a Pentium III with a 6 pin PCMCIA card or upgrading and I've decided to upgrade.
So now I see various 4 pin and 6 pin I/O options and looking at used laptops several different series of IEEE Firewire from 1394 - 1395 a's and b's. Is one better than the other? And why?

I could be mistaken, but I think that 1394a is firewire 400 (standard right now), and 1394b is firewire 800 (it's around, but not quite mainstream yet). Not sure about 1395, but who knows. I used a firepod on a dell inspiron 8600 (I have a Tascam 1804 now, similar units but Tascam has 4 less preamps, but adds ADAT and better input monitoring). There seemed to be issues with running it through the mini (4 pin) port, so I ended up getting a PCMCIA firewire card like you were talking about in the other thread. Mine happens to be an NEC chipset, and so far I haven't had any problems with either interface, but I've heard that TI seems to be the best for audio compatibility.

The only difference between 4 and 6 pin is that 6-pins provide power to external devices and 4-pin doesn't. Only a consideration if you want to do remote sessions with battery power.

I'm running a Motu828mkII to a Gateway laptop using a 4-pin-to-Firewire cable with zero problems.

Back