Alesis multimix8 firewire and presonus firepod compatibility

elementary

I'm a bit confused after long hours of googling and forum searching as to what will work with my new laptop.

Im going to buy a new laptop with a core 2 duo and i want to record 8 channels of audio simultaneously. I currently have a multimix firewire 8 which lets me do this but i hear that they don't work with 64bit windows. Would a firepod work in 64 bit windows or windows vista?

Im unclear as to what 64 bit windows is, is it just windows with a core 2 duo?

Stupid questions, but I can't find clear answers and theres a lot of money at stake.

I've been getting decent results with half assed setups for years and now that I'm not in a band anymore I have some cash to spend and want to get it right. I'm interested in sounds, not technicalities and I'd like to plug it all in and not have to worry about the machines, just the instruments. Its hard work all this technical guff.

thanks

ryan :)

Last edited:
Any laptop you buy now will come preloaded with Vista, so the most important thing is to ensure that your interface (Multimix, firepod whatever) ships with Vista-compatible drivers. The firepod is Vista ready, not sure about the multimix.

In Vista, I think you have the choice of either 32 or 64-bit. This only controls the maximum amount of ram you can use (4GB with 32 bit, squillions with 64), although some report improved performance with 64 bit

Back