Is the Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0 still the only USB multitrack mixer in that $ range?

shoobadie

To clarify, by multitrack I mean the ability to send out, via USB, multiple (16 tracks) of separate audio tracks to my DAW. I've literally spent that last several days searching and reading and searching and reading and watching YouTube videos, looking for alternatives, additional choices, just one other mixer in that price range that can do the multitrack out across USB and either I'm seriously mentally handicapped or there really isn't anything else out there? Nothing from Behringer, Yamaha, Mackie, etc?

At the end of the day I guess I'll just buy the 'Multimix 8 USB 2.0', but it seems like it's been out for a while now so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something newer and better (mic pres, converters, subs, ?).

So, if you do know of another mixer in a similar price range that can do the multitrack out, please let me know what it is, and thanks in advance if I missed the obvious, but I assure you I killed myself searching before posting here, so thanks for your help.

~TheGospelOfGroove

I can't help but I'm in the same boat as you! I've asked a question - for someone wanting to use USB 2.0 rather than firewire, would an alternative be to link an analog mixer (with no effects) up to a USB 2.0 interface?

Like you, the only USB 2.0 all-in-one I can find is the Alesis Multimix 8 and 16.

The mixer you speak of is around $150? I'd say spend a little more and here's why..

Speaking purely from research, and some actual testing of a few boxes - I would probably go with a Allen & Heath ZED-series mixer. The entry level ZED10 is roughly $250 USD, which is pricey, but it provides excellent quality and the added bonus of growth.

The 'affordable' usb mixers - Behringer, Alesis, and Peavey can leave a lot to be desired after awhile and they are not happily welcomed in the 'pro' community because of a noise problem. Though, some people claim it and some don't. All that have made claims to the noise never provide proof and those that claim no noise, upload their sound tests to YouTube.

YMMV.

(I apologize for double-posting, I'm unable to edit my original and I left the question half answered.)

but yes, your assessment is correct, usb 1.0 and 2.0 mixers under $400 are only going to get you 1-2 tracks in/out with the exception of the multimix by Alesis. Another solution to multit-rack recording over USB is an audio interface. For example, the TASCAM US-600 ($200) can send 4 combo XLR to the computer simultaneously. You can also look at the AKAI EIE Pro, which looks like it can do 4 combo XLRs as well.

As for mixers, I wouldn't be surprised to see some nice USB 3.0 multi-out mixers showing up in the next year or 2. :)

Back