Alesis multimix 8 firewire or usb 2 ??

Patrick Q

Talking about Alesis mutimixes (which you weren't) I wonder if I can just ask some advice from anyone using them.
After much boring and painful research I narrowed down what I need (both as an audio interface for my laptop and for live use) to the Alesis Multimix 8 usb 2 or the same in firewire version.
The problem is that buyers reviews say the usb 2.0 version runs really hot and statements like "I don't know how it would behave on a long session" bug me somewhat since I live in Italy which itself gets really hot in the summer! This goy me looking into the firewire version but the problem is that my lap top can only have firewire 400 fitted (or so I've been told by the computer shop) so my question is: Would this be fast enough? Is it worth spending the extra money on the firewire version and can I be sure that this version won't overheat as well?

The problem is that buyers reviews say the usb 2.0 version runs really hot and statements like "I don't know how it would behave on a long session" bug me somewhat since I live in Italy which itself gets really hot in the summer! This goy me looking into the firewire version but the problem is that my lap top can only have firewire 400 fitted (or so I've been told by the computer shop) so my question is: Would this be fast enough? Is it worth spending the extra money on the firewire version and can I be sure that this version won't overheat as well?

FireWire 400 is fine. Can you be sure that it won't overheat? No. It's built by Alesis.... :)

Do you need a mixer? If so, you might consider a Phonic Helix.

Last edited:
FireWire 400 is fine. Can you be sure that it won't overheat? No. It's built by Alesis.... :)

Do you need a mixer? If so, you might consider a Phonic Helix.
I was considering the Alesis Multimx USB 2.0, or Phonic, but just got the Tascam M-164UF mixer / USB audio interface. 16 channels analog, and via USB 2.0 1-10 direct, 11-16 are FX 1/2, sub, stereo mix = 16 to PC at 24/48 with 24/96 stereo return. No issues.

The one thing I like about the firewire mixers is the individual channels get sent to the computer instead of the main bus. Usually, the data sent to the computer is raw audio tapped right after teh trim knob. This means the mixer section does not alter the sound of the audio going to the computer. That is important. You don't want to be tweaking on your tracks until you get them all recorded and are at the mixdown point. You don't know how they will sound until they are all together and shouldn't make any adjustments until then.

For that reason, I bought the Phonic firewire mixer. Plus, you can add reverb or other effects while tracking and it won't be included with the audio sent to the computer. This is extremely helpful for those of us who like a little reverb while singing.

have fun,

Chili, thats some really handy information to have, thank you. I was thinking about getting a live rig to record and mix with and you just answered all the questions i was going to ask! :D

In regards to the main question, temperature wise, there won't be much difference between the usb and firewire. The main thing though if you go with the USB, i wouldn't reccomend running ANYTHING else via usb. It all goes through the same processor and can really muck things up!

Thanks chili for your advice, but is the quality of the Phonic as good as the Alesis?

They're in the same price range, so I'm assuming same quality. I have had no problems with my Phonic in the 3+ years I've been using it. I'm willing to bet all these different companies (M-Audio, Presonus, Alesis, Phonic) get their DSP/converter chips from the same sources; TI, Burr-Brown, etc. The differences would be in power supplies, chassis, software drivers, analog circuits, that kind of stuff.

Chili, thats some really handy information to have, thank you. I was thinking about getting a live rig to record and mix with and you just answered all the questions i was going to ask! :D

Cool, the other thing I like about using a firewire mixer, is everything stays plugged in all the time, keyboards, mic, Guit amp modeler.

The one thing I like about the firewire mixers is the individual channels get sent to the computer instead of the main bus. Usually, the data sent to the computer is raw audio tapped right after teh trim knob. This means the mixer section does not alter the sound of the audio going to the computer.

So are you saying that you can't adjust any sliders/knobs/parameters while connected via FireWire?
Sorry to bump but I'm on the most of making the same decision as the OP.

So are you saying that you can't adjust any sliders/knobs/parameters while connected via FireWire?
Sorry to bump but I'm on the most of making the same decision as the OP.

You can, but it won't alter the sound going to the computer, which is a good thing. The mixers that stream audio from the main bus will allow you to alter the signal with faders, EQ, etc. But usually, that's a stereo stream and not individual channels. Like if you wanted to record a live performance.

Also, this thread is 5 years old, (which is okay to bump) and gear on the market has changed a bit. Back then, the conversation between USB and Firewire was centered around the number of channels streamed to the computer at one time. USB typically only did 2 channels and Firewire could handle many more. But today, there are USB devices that can stream 8 or more channels. Computers are faster today and can handle the higher data flow without interruptions. Not so much of a debate between USB and Firewire.

Still the advice not to alter audio before it goes into the computer is valid. Just send it raw and adjust in the computer once you get everything tracked and recorded.

HTH

Back