Alesis Guitarlink 1/4" to USB cable is beeping in audio!?

R_Spaulding

So I bought an Alesis Guitarlink cable that goes from 1/4" straight to USB and I did some testing last night. The tones using my Line 6 software plugins on dry tracks I recorded with the Alesis cable were actually pretty decent (almost better and more crisp sounding than running through the Line 6 hardware interface itself). Also the latency wasn't too bad. However, when I applied a high gain tone in the Line 6 plugin software I would get this crazy beeping sound.. like a garbage truck!
Sample:

I'm using Line 6 Gearbox plugin in Cubase 5 on Win7 and applying tones to the dry audio recorded using the Alesis Guitarlink...
Any idea why I'm getting the beeps?

Found this in a review of the Alesis cable on amazon:
"While the Alesis Guitarlink cable seems to technically connect and provide some sound to Garageband, it also includes a high frequency beeping or pulsing overtone in Garageband that I conclude can only come from the USB circuitry in the cable.

I happened to recently receive the Ubisoft PS3 game "Rocksmith" that includes a guitar-to-usb cable of notably different construction that does NOT exhibit this beeping problem when used with Garageband and the identical instruments. The cable supplied with the Rocksmith game seems to be very high quality and provides a clean, crystal clear signal to GB.
I happen to have a friend who has this game and I am arranging to borrow his cable to try it out! I'll post the results here.

I got the Rocksmith cable here and I am testing it out. The Rocksmith is more quiet than the Alesis but that's OK because the Alesis was too hot. There is no beeping now and the latency is no different. However it's only recording in the left channel (mono) in Cubase 5. Does anyone know how I would get it to record in stereo, or at least double the left channel over to the right? I have to return the cable today and would like to have figured this out whiole I have it.. help! :)

There is no purpose in doubling your left-channel-only signal over to the right side. It's a mono signal. You need to set your input in Cubase to mono.

I can help you with that. I had exactly the same issue with that Alesis cable and no one could help me.

It's pretty simple:

1- Make sure you're hearing the beep
2- Open the ASIO4ALL panel and select the USB input from the list (if it's not showing enable advanced options)
3- If you press the + sign it probably reveals two other lines starting with "In" and "Out"
4- Try disabling one of them and leaving the other enabled: Listen closely if there's any changes in the beeping pattern/beeping volume

If you get an improvement from switching one of them off make sure you leave it that way because it might get rid of it in the next step:

5- Select the USB line again
6- On the right side you have options such as "Always Resample 44.1khz" "Force WDM Driver To 16 Bit" and "Buffer Offset"
7- Enable and disable these, experiment with different buffer offsets until the beeping disappears, it's important that you experiment with different options

It should work for you, again, it's really important that you experiment with those options. It worked perfectly for me and a friend.

I hope I was helpful.

Back