Advice on Zoom R16 before I buy

ConorC

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm looking to buy a multi analogue input audio interface and I've done a lot of research over the last couple of months and I am currently looking at a Zoom R16. I haven't bought this yet, because quite frankly I haven't been able to see what the catch is for this thing. It seems absolutely perfect for what I want. I understand that the preamps are good, but not great, which is fine, but is that the only down side of this thing?

Here's what I want to do with it. I want to replace my Fostex DMT-8 (I know, prehistoric right?) which I haven't used in about 12 years, and my Sound Blaster Audigy, which was fine when I was just recording myself. But now I want to record my new band, and then mix the tracks later on my PC and it looks to me like the Zoom R16 is going to cover all my bases and not have a load of extra features which I am never going to use. And, as an added bonus, I don't actually need to bring my PC or Laptop with me to do the recording. And the price is excellant.

So what am I missing? Do I need to hand over my first born son to Zoom? Do I have to record standing on my head?

Advice from people who actually use the R16 would be much appreciated.

Are you aware it only records 8 tracks at a time, not 16
For the same price, you might want to also consider a 16 channel Audio Interface and record on a PC or laptop, and record 16 tracks at once

Hey Johnny, yes I'm aware of the 8 channel recording limit and that's not an issue. 8 simulataineous channels is perfect, it even gives me a little flexibility.

As for dedicated FireWire interfaces, I cannot find one that gives me the channels and inputs I need at the price I want. I did look at alesis' multimix range, the mackie onyx blackbird, and a couple of different focusrites, basically it came down to a multimix or the r16, with the r16's portability pipping the multimix at the post.

What do you think? Should I look at something else maybe?

Just an off the wall idea; someone is likely trying to unload the predecessor to the R16; the HD16-CD for peanuts. You get an 80G hard drive as opposed to a stock 1G SD card. Yes, you can get a much bigger SD card, but from experience, those cards fill up fast. The HD16 is bigger, but I believe it has more Hi-Z and phantom power inputs.
As I say, it's just another way of thinking. Maybe you can find an HD16 for a couple of hundred bucks, although they were much pricier 'in their day'.

I like my Zoom R16 (although I have not used it much, lately.)

Yeah, only 8 channels simulataineously, but if you need 8 more, hook two of 'em together. You can do that.

SD cards do fill up fast- just buck up and buy the big ones.

Used this one as an interface once, and it worked fine. Used it as a stand-alone, and it worked well.

I'm still using my R16 as an interface. Performance has been rock solid. The limited control surface functionality is a big bonus for me, too.

The pre's aren't stellar, but they're not a penalty box either. Still a good value for the price point.

I was in the same boat with the Zoom R8 - trying to figure out what the catch was for such a decent price. I upgraded from a Boss BR-600 and couldn't be happier. Great line of products.

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the responses. I think I will be purchasing an R16 in the next month or so.

Conor

Back