advice from those who program their own drums

minofifa

i originally bought reason so that i could use its sampler to add drums to my current songs. Now, however, i have found using drum loops to be way quicker and more at my level. I don't know enough about drumming or sampling to create my own. What do you guys use? do you prefer to write your drum tracks from scratch with samples or do you use loops?

for those who use loops, how do you add fills to your drum tracks? the set of drum loops that came with reason are just simple beats that get monotonous quickly. for those who use reason, can i buy loop CD's for it, or do i need to get recycle and create my own, that sounds like a huge hastle.

does fruity loops use actual acoustic drumkit samples or does it use synthetic / electronic drum beats. the version of FS i used had a step sequencer and the drums sounded rediculously cheesy, like something you'd hear off of an old nintendo game.

I use a midi editor freeware called Jazz Plus Plus from www.jazzware.com
As for drum sounds, there is 10 drum kits on my Soundblaster (using GS midi 8 MB Soundfont), which sound pretty decent. My Roland synth has only one drum kits, and I use the Soundblaster for drums, and some synth sounds. Piano sound is crapola on SB.

My secret from drum programming is "COPY and PASTE".
Why try to program note for note / bar to bar.

indeed, copy and paste is a must. Its more the nuances that overwhelm me. I don't know how to do a rolling snare or change the length of a high hat open/close sound. Thus, the drum loops sound a lot better than the sterile crap i come up with.

I often play mine by hand into a midi sequencer. Been doing that for years. Then it's cut and paste.

minofifa said:
i originally bought reason so that i could use its sampler to add drums to my current songs. Now, however, i have found using drum loops to be way quicker and more at my level. I don't know enough about drumming or sampling to create my own. What do you guys use? do you prefer to write your drum tracks from scratch with samples or do you use loops?

for those who use loops, how do you add fills to your drum tracks? the set of drum loops that came with reason are just simple beats that get monotonous quickly. for those who use reason, can i buy loop CD's for it, or do i need to get recycle and create my own, that sounds like a huge hastle.

Personally, I find programming drums in reason from scratch the only way to go if you are very particular about what you really want. The problem is, if you don't have any previous experience with sequencing your own drums in this fashion, it can be quite daunting. If you have the time and patience, I'd say dig into that redrum and learn how to create your own beats, fills and refills, you won't be disappointed. If it isn't for you, and you find the whole process is inhibiting your creativity, I would suggest pickin up something like Groove Agent which you can get up and running rather quickly.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's just a suggestion. :)

I put the left and right markers within 2 bars and make it so it loops. Put a click track on and start recording. Make sure overdub is on and start with, for example, the kick drum.
Just play one piece of kit at a time, and with it looping you can increase your drums each time it loops. After that, if you wanting it a bit tighter, quantize it and use the good old 'copy and paste'.

cool, thanks for the ideas,

as far as programming drums in reason, would you suggest using the redrum step sequencer or a sampler like the NN-XT? I'm doing basically pop/rock music and i want a nice sounding acoustic kit.

try setting up an acoustic drum kit with Redrum, then reading drum tablature and program it in. I learned a lot this way.

The reason drum kits refill has some drums that sound very realistic...at least to my ears. But you have to use the NNXT.

yeah i was taking a long hard look at getting the reason drum kits refill. so its only samples and patches for the NNXT? i'll have to check that out.

minofifa said:
does fruity loops use actual acoustic drumkit samples or does it use synthetic / electronic drum beats. the version of FS i used had a step sequencer and the drums sounded rediculously cheesy, like something you'd hear off of an old nintendo game.

I actually have an acoustic kit that I put into the program to use. If someone wants to host the kit for others to download, I will send it to them. IMO its a great kit.

It's trial and error, also, like most things... practice. I agree with Clit Torris that doing it from scratch is the only way to go... if you're analy retentive like me.

There's lots of 'getting started' guides on the net. Just search for "getting started with re-drum" and you should find the answers you seek.

for sure. I guess i'm just skeptical of how using a step sequencer to program drums could capture the nuances of a talented drummer. The idea of using samples and midi to program drums has corrupted me. If using a step sequencer produces satisfiable results, I will for sure give it a chance.

I don't think anyone would claim that using sampled/midi drums would capture the subtle nuances of a talented drummer. If someone makes that claim, they are probably selling something. :-)

A step sequencer is about as easy as it gets, unless you are a good drummer with a good drumset and mikes all set up to record. The great thing about a step sequencer is that you can put together a rhythm very, very fast, or you can spend the time on every little detail like adjusting the velocity of every single drum hit...it's up to you. I tend to be lazy with the drum programming so I don't lose focus on the guitar parts.

Spaztic: how big a file or files is your sampled kit? I think I could host it if it isn't super huge (like a cd image).

MrBoogie

Back