Advice on Recording Computer and Interface

Idiomatic

Hi, I am an aspiring engineer about to buy my first home studio rig. I have been spoiled by the Digi 192's, Sony MCI console, and quad-core Mac that we have in the studio at work. I definitely do not have that kind of budget for a 'HD' system, but I would like to get some measure of quality from the rig I am going to buy.

My budget for a recording computer, software, and interface/converter is around $2500. I'm not 100% sure what specs are "good enough" or most important in regards to multi-track recording, but I'm basically looking for i3, i5, i7, with 4gb+ ram, and a 7200 rpm drive. Currently, the laptop I have is a core i3 (2nd generation), 5400 rpm drive, and 6gb of ram. Do you think this is enough to handle most recording tasks, or should I invest in something better? Are there any other essential specs I should be considering? My recording needs are 10-16 tracks at once, with as little latency as I can afford, haha. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, I know I can't achieve necessarily the same quality as a HD system, but I'd like to get something better than a basic rig. Some options that I have been considering are:

- Recording Computer - (budget around $1000-1200)
1. Mac Mini, either i5, or i7, with an upgraded 7200 rpm drive, and upgraded Ram (I think it's 8 gb).
2. A custom built Windows PC tower, with as many cores as I can get for under $1000 (not sure where to find one, any suggestions would be appreciated). I figure getting a PC would give me more value, even though I prefer working on a Mac.

- Software - ($600)
1. Pro Tools 9. The only software that I am really considering is Pro Tools 9, especially if it's a PC.

- Interface/Converter/Pre's - ($500-1000) (Realistically, I can only afford something with 8 analog inputs for now, but I would need something that would allow me to expand to 16 inputs eventually, via SPDIF etc. My output needs would be at least 4.)
1. MOTU 896 Mk3
2. MOTU 828 Mk3
3. MOTU 8Pre
4. Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
5. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
6. Focusrite ISA828 Mk2
7. Octopre Mk2 Dynamic
8. Octopre Mk2
9. Anything else you can suggest for around $500-$1000

Mostly looking for reliability, sound quality, and low-ish latency (for a consumer level rig). I do not have any experience using any of the above interfaces, so any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated. Is my i3 laptop good enough to run 16 inputs (maybe 25-30 tracks playback)? Would you recommend just using the core i3 laptop that I have already, and spend the extra cash on converters? I'm just trying to get a feel of how to allocate my cash towards the most necessary things in my signal chain (I know I know, everything is necessary).

Last edited:
Sweetwater makes some really good PC's built for recording. They may run a bit over the $1000 mark ( my CS Tower with an I5 quad core, 3.33fsb, 8G RAM,2x500G SATA 7500RPM drives and windows 7/64) was $2100, and worth every penny, but I hot-rodded it from the stock machine. They have a new line of rack mount stuff that is really sweet. I thought about going over to Mac, but an equivilent computer would have been twice the price. Computers | Sweetwater.com. I'm also using a MOTU 896mk3 with an 8Pre optically connected. Works nicely, but I add a Presonus Digimax and a TubePre for preamps. The MOTU's pre's are nice, but Presonus are much warmer, at least to my ears. Great bang for the buck. I have not heard good things about the Focusrite interfaces. There seems to be some quality issues. Hope this helps. Peace and good luck!

You may also want to look into the Presonus interfaces. Firepods and FP10's are really nice units. I can only assume that the Digimax follows the trend.

My recommendations:

Computer: Stick with the Mac Mini, especially if you're going to be using Pro Tools. I would only go the Windows route if you know specifically what hardware you want to be using and if you know how to configure Windows properly to run with your DAW without any hiccups.

Interface: Your best bet outta the ones you have mentioned is probably the 8Pre. I've read reviews of the OctoPre and they're really good and all, but if you're just starting out, I find the 8Pre to be simpler to use.

Back