Advice on interfaces and Preamps

dojo

Im updating up set up and want a portable system that is good quality.

It seems from what I understand (I havent followed the trends at all over the past 10-15 years) that the whole mixing desk thing isn't such a big deal these days and I can do it all in the box (laptop)

A friend of mine is advising get a good interface and good preamp for each channel and you're on your way.

I want 8 inputs (& preferable 8 out).

Looking though it seems a lot of the interfaces have a preamp on a couple of the channels and rest not?? or am I missing something?

I hear the RME stuff is good FF400 or 800, I've also been looking at Focusrite and Motu.

on the RME 800 you have 4 channels with pre amps? but then you have to buy another preamp channel unit to run infront for the remaining channels??

Maybe I'm being very dense?

Motu do the 8pre which has a preamp on every one, but for the price I worry about the quality.

I would prefer to have 2 super preamp channels and 6 ok ones rather than 8 good. (I think)

confussed.com

Check out the tascam 1800- something. 8 inputs and USB.

Curious why you need 8 inputs. Are you recording live gigs or a whole band at the same time?

You say you want a portable setup, then dont bother with the external preamps, just use software-vst preamps/eq/comps ..all "in the box".

Keep in mind that an interface specs are not worded the same as a mixer. When you are looking at an interface, the amount of inputs, are how many tracks you can record separately to a track in your software. Outputs, are the amount of sends 'from' your computer through (back out of) the interface.

If you want 8 inputs, to record to your software, then you need an interface with that many inputs. Now, you have to take into consideration, that each microphone needs a preamp, in order to do this. The Tascam Chili mentioned, has 10 preamps, so you could record 10 mic inputs, to individual tracks, right out of the box. Many interfaces will have multiple inputs, but you need a preamp for each one, to record with microphones.

I have not had any experience with the 8pre, but you are looking for good clean gain from a interface. I doubt that it would be the link that destroys your creativity. I can only say that the interface I use (US-1800), there is maybe a 10% difference in audio quality between the stock preamps, and my $1500 Vintech X73i. As long as the preamp is low noise, and has enough gain to do it's job, well, that is all it needs to do. An interface that costs $500 more, will not be a night and day change, regarding preamps. AD converters maybe, but again, this is another minoot cost/benefit ratio.

^yeah, the spelling is wrong, but minute just didn't look right either. :)

Here you go... then start collecting Free Vst's for eq's comps', limiters, etc..etc..

Heres your portability (laptop) and 8in/8 preamps...

Attachments

• HR portable.png
    HR portable.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 23
Thats great.

So you'll don't think they'll be much difference between something thats $500 and $1000?

(Surprised that Tascam is getting more love than the RME or FOcusrite?)

I want 8 inputs so that I can do drums etc... 8 outputs would be a great option so I have the option to bounce it out to tape if I want to.

I don't mind having a couple of outboard bits of kit - one interface and one preamp channel.

I understand the difference between interfaces and preamp channels - I just dont understand what I would do it my interface had say 2 preamp channels on it, would I effectively have 2 preamps or just miss out the preamp bit of kit on 1 & 2??

Also what do AD converters do? Surely a interface is a AD converter?? All very confussing.

:-)

(Surprised that Tascam is getting more love than the RME or FOcusrite?)

Price point mostly and it gets the job done.

I just dont understand what I would do it my interface had say 2 preamp channels on it, would I effectively have 2 preamps or just miss out the preamp bit of kit on 1 & 2??

Not sure I completely understand your question, but... if you want 8 mics, you gotta have 8 preamps. If your interface has 8 inputs but only two with preamps, you'll need 6 external preamps. That is the nice feature of the tascam unit, 8 mic preamps and A/D conversion. Perfect for recording drums.

Also what do AD converters do? Surely a interface is a AD converter?? All very confussing.

An interface is typically two units in one; mic preamps and digital converters. You can buy them as separate units if you'd like. The converter will have Analog to Digital and Digital to Analog converters. They run the gamut for price, quality and functionality. The noticeable difference will be in the mic preamps. The converters themselves won't make much of a difference across teh various price points. At least not to the home recording enthusiasts.

I used to use inputs 9/10 for disposable tracks (scratch vocals/guitar) or HH and Ride mics. They are in effect, preamped inputs. XLR to 1/4" adapter and you have 10 useable mic inputs with the 1800. :)

Back