Advice on Building a Computer for Recording/Production?

I have a 1TB standard HDD in there for archival/backup, but I haven't had to lean on it yet. I never look at how much space is left, or the Cubase performance meter, or the UAD resource meter. It just works. It's how it should be.

Exactly! I can track 16 tracks effortlessly to a cheap 2tb 7200 RPM sata drive, newegg sells em for $100. I can write about 50 MB/sec with it. A 50 MB mono 44.1/24bit wav file is what, about 8 minutes long? So you can write 480 seconds track-seconds in 1 second. So you should be able to record 480 tracks at once (or at least get close considering negligible overhead) to a standard sata drive before that becomes a bottleneck. SSD's are so overkill....

The cpu's that are out nowadays are almost just as much overkill, altho I think cpus are where you'd hit your first bottleneck if you have huge projects with shitloads of plugins. I started seeing cpu performance issues on a dell laptop from about 2004 (it was a new-ish laptop then) when I was mixing on a cubase3 mobile daw setup with something like 30 audio tracks + ezdrummer/DFH + crazy plugins all over the place. Tracking 16 tracks was no problem on that laptop then with a single 5400rpm 40gb IDE laptop drive, tracking to the same drive windows was running from.

A modern pc with 16GB ram, your whole damn project will be working from RAM and just writing to disk from buffers anyway! Attempting to spec out and engineer a DAW is like engineering a cannon to kill a fly.

A modern pc with 16GB ram, your whole damn project will be working from RAM and just writing to disk from buffers anyway! Attempting to spec out and engineer a DAW is like engineering a cannon to kill a fly.

Thanks, That maybe true, but I have decided to go on the side of overkill and future proofing to an extent, Just because I am so sick of working on projects and having my DAW crash or stall. And I'd rather spend money now on something now and not have to worry about it for a few years.

At the risk of dating myself, I remember recording 16 tracks simultaneously with a Penitum II 266mhz with 64mb of RAM. It was crash-prone, but it did work. That was Cakewalk Pro Audio 5 if I remember correctly.

If you want to hear dated, first computer recording on a 286 with a 20Mb hard drive. (pure MIDI at the time) wave recording couldn't be done or was still very limited.

Just to give you "dated" company :)

I've used a few different ones and definately have my preference now. I've used the Intel 320 and 520 series and am very very happy with both. I've used the Crucial m4 which is my favorite so far. I've also installed a few samsungs, kingstons, sandisk and mushkin. The failure happened on a kingston (they make great memory but I've heard many bad things about their SSD). The samsung is decent but it definately seemed slower than the others.

And I agree, there are some that make them better than others. I've done IT for about 13 years now in the last few years we've really seen standard hard drives going down hill. If I order 10 drives I can almost gaurentee 1 will come in DOA. That has followed me through most brands but I know there are exceptions.

Are you using a particular brand of SSD? On normal HD failures, your ratio is much different than the SSDs, and this to depends on the manufacturer. There are some companies out there I won;t use their HDs. But your point is well taken. I have been waiting for reliability and cost to come inline before using them. Having worked with HDs for 25+ years, it is the devil you know verses the devil you don't know syndrome.

But if you have experience with a certain brand of SSD, would love to know.

If you want to hear dated, first computer recording on a 286 with a 20Mb hard drive. (pure MIDI at the time) wave recording couldn't be done or was still very limited.

Just to give you "dated" company :)

And I thought "senior member" just meant you had been here a while. :) I assume you were kickin' it monochrome with that bad boy?

And I thought "senior member" just meant you had been here a while. :) I assume you were kickin' it monochrome with that bad boy?
My first monitor was, but I upgraded (and it cost a lot) to a 13 inch CGA monitor. It was awesome!

My first monitor was, but I upgraded (and it cost a lot) to a 13 inch CGA monitor. It was awesome!
Getting a bit off-topic, but my first computer was a Timex/Sinclair ZX (a $99 product that was a collaboration between the watch company and Sir Clive). It had a Z80 8-bit CPU that was clocked at 1KHz (that's not a typo), came with 4K of RAM, expandable to 16K, used an audio cassette deck for program and data storage and a standard television as a display. It came with BASIC included. It was a little on the slow side. :)

My next computers were a couple of Commodore 64s, which used some kind of Motorola CPU (I don't recall which one at this point) clocked, if I recall correctly, a 1MHz, had 64K of RAM, and actually had available 5-1/4" floppy disk drives for data and program storage. There were MIDI interfaces available for these, as well as primitive sequencing software, and I used one of them for this purpose. It, too, could display on a standard television but there were also dedicated composite-input monitors available for it. Originally, they were green screens, with long persistence phosphors. Eventually, amber screens became available.

I then graduated to an IBM XT, the successor to the original IBM PC. It came stock with 64K of RAM, which I expanded to a whopping 512K with a rather expensive expansion card. It had an Intel 8086 CPU that clocked at 4.7 MHz, and a true mother board, which allowed for system expansion. It also had available a "Winchester" hard drive with a storage capacity of 20 megabytes. These were called "Winchester" drives because they had 20 platters and stored 20 meg, i.e. 20/20. Roland introduced the venerable MPU-401 MIDI interface, which was the first de facto MIDI standard interface for PCs, and that was when I was first introduced to Cakewalk which, of course, grew up to become Sonar. It was also on this machine that I ran my first amanuensis software -- Personal Composer, which is still around.

Does this qualify me as a Senior Senior Member? :)

Yes. Yes it does. :) Forgive me, but what is "amanuensis software"?
Music scoring software, e.g. Finale, Sibelius, etc. An amanuensis is a somewhat archaic term that means, "a person who takes dictation and writes out the result as a manuscript." It wasn't specific to music, but referred to any dictation. However, I learned the term in the context of music.

On the SSD, it is not a bad decision, I would just be reluctant to recommend at this time as the reliability is still not as good as the traditional HDs.

You are really off base there. There are no reliability problems with SSD's, NONE. To claim that shows you really haven't had experience using them.

You are really off base there. There are no reliability problems with SSD's, NONE. To claim that shows you really haven't had experience using them.

I'm just going to eat some popcorn, while the conversation begins....

:eatpopcorn:

Well, if you want to use them I guess use them. I am still reluctant to get one. I have been watching, I just don't trust them yet. I don't think I am off base, but you are right. I don't have experience with SSDs as I don['t trust them and really don't want the hassle jacking with them until they stabilize out.

But to each his own.

P.S. What is this Analog Vs. Digital Thread? :o

Last edited:
I really haven't seen any increase in dead drives SSD vs standard but to each their own. Think of it like thumb and flash drives, people have been using them for years without problems (while externals fail often due to being bashed around and moving parts no longer moving). I think it's safe but honestly wait 6 months and you could be quoting this and showing me just how wrong I am.

The reliability is not the issue for me. Its price to be honest especially since I would only get a 320 or 500GB, So my questions are:

1) Keeping in mind I plan on having two harddrives, one for the OS and Software and another for samples and audio. Which would be the priority to go with SSD?

2) Is the huge price different reflected in performance I'm getting 1TB standard harddrives for 59euro whereas a 1TB SSD is around 550euro (I do realise this is massive for a SSD, just wanted to compare like for like.)

I really haven't seen any increase in dead drives SSD vs standard but to each their own. Think of it like thumb and flash drives, people have been using them for years without problems (while externals fail often due to being bashed around and moving parts no longer moving). I think it's safe but honestly wait 6 months and you could be quoting this and showing me just how wrong I am.

Yes the performance increase is HUGE, if you get a good drive. Some of them don't really feel a whole lot faster. I took a laptop that was booting from power button to login screen 45 seconds from login screen to desktop was another 25 seconds. When we were done it was power button to login screen 8 seconds, login screen to desktop 2 seconds.

Wow! Pretty impressive! ... You have me considering it now. Looking at a Crucial 240GB at the min. Its 4 x the price of a 1TB standard. Any particular brands to go for or avoid in your experience?

Yes the performance increase is HUGE, if you get a good drive. Some of them don't really feel a whole lot faster. I took a laptop that was booting from power button to login screen 45 seconds from login screen to desktop was another 25 seconds. When we were done it was power button to login screen 8 seconds, login screen to desktop 2 seconds.

I REALLY REALLY like the Crucial m4 series. Price wise it's not the top of the chain or the bottom but great luck with them so far. I also really like the Intel 320 and 520 series. I've recently replaced both my wife's and my laptops. As soon as I got them I ordered us both crucial m4 drives and cloned them over. Did the same thing in the 2 desktops we just bought. About to do it on my mac mini. I've also replaced several at my office recently, some with m4s and others wanted to go cheaper. One Samsung in the office I'm particularly unhappy with. No problems but I'm not getting the speeds I expected from my other results.

I think you can get the 256gb Crucial m4 series for about $199 ($180 if you shop around a bit I think).

Back