Adobe Audition, ASIO and portable audio interfaces?

iboersma

Hi all,

I am a voice talent who needs to set up a very basic home studio for recording voice tracks and sending them out to my agent and clients. I already have Adobe Audition 1.5 and was hoping to use that as my audio editing package, but it seems that Audition doesn't support the necessary ASIO protocol for intrfacing with Portable Audio Interfaces (like the Edirol UA-25, etc.)

I would like to use a portable, USB or firewire-based portable audio interface rather than a soundcard, since I need some good mic pre-amps and I don't want any of the potential interference you might get from an on-board sound card.

I called Adobe to find out if they could provide a list of their approved hardware providers, but they were of ZERO help ("Adobe doesn't make hardware recommendations...")

Can anyone out there help me who has successfully used one of these portable (non-PCI) audio interfaces with Adobe Audition? I don't need anything fancy, just a 2-channel interface with good mic pre-amps and 48v phantom power...

Help!

- Ian

I dont know about the Adobe Audition, but if your wanting something small yet great, you might want to check out the MBox. http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

I use these quite a bit, and i have to say the Pre-amps are second to none. Amazing! It also has Phantom power for your mics. Like i said, i dont know if it will work with Adobe Audition...Should do? Hopefully someone else can answer that one!

You do get free Pro Tools LE if you buy the Mbox new, which is a bonus!

Tifstorey said:
I dont know about the Adobe Audition, but if your wanting something small yet great, you might want to check out the MBox. http://www.digidesign.com/products/mbox/

I use these quite a bit, and i have to say the Pre-amps are second to none. Amazing! It also has Phantom power for your mics. Like i said, i dont know if it will work with Adobe Audition...Should do? Hopefully someone else can answer that one!

You do get free Pro Tools LE if you buy the Mbox new, which is a bonus!

Thanks for your input, Tifstorey. I actually had the MBox in my hot little hands and had installed it on my Dell 8400 desktop only to find that the particular chipset I've got (925x series) is not supported. This caused me to get a repeating error message which made ProTools unusable. I would have LOVED to use the MBox/ProTools setup, but alas, support for Intel processors still lags far behind the Macs... I'm returning that setup tomorrow to the vendor and will be looking for something more generic (like the Edirol UA-25, Presonus, etc.)

Peace,

Ian

Also - the MBox will ONLY work with ProTools; it won't act as an input device for any other audio editing software, from what I've been told...

Last edited:
philpereira said:
i posted the following in the recording techniques section

"i have a mobilepre usb that is almost new that i'm selling for $120 (goes new for $150). it has 2 channels for xlr mics and has phantom power.

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=483544&T=9177 here's a song i made recording with this and audition. it works well for me (i just want a pci interface now)

let me know if you have any other questions, good luck in your search"

Hi,

So you could select your MobilePro as your WAVE input device and record with no issue using Adobe Audition 1.5? Did you experience any latency? Do you still have this device for sale and, if so, what mic preamps does it have?

Also, why are you switching to a PCI-based interface, if I could ask?

Thanks,

Ian

hi again, yes, actually i use the mobilepre as both my wav in and wave out in audition with absolutely no problems. latency is not a problem either, as long as you have a decent system. i monitor the sound through a headphone jack, but there are also line connections for monitors. i just want to switch to a pci interface to eliminate some of my desk clutter as well as give me some room to expand.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-focus.html here are some more details

philpereira said:
hi again, yes, actually i use the mobilepre as both my wav in and wave out in audition with absolutely no problems. latency is not a problem either, as long as you have a decent system. i monitor the sound through a headphone jack, but there are also line connections for monitors. i just want to switch to a pci interface to eliminate some of my desk clutter as well as give me some room to expand.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MobilePreUSB-focus.html here are some more details

Sweet... That's what I wanted to hear. Do you happen to know what protocol you are using with the Mobilepre to interface with Adobe (WDM, MME?) My understanding is the Audition doesn't support the standard ASIO protocol, so I'm trying to pinpoint what protocols it does work with to narrow down my hardware choices.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm kind of at the end of my rope here...

Thanks again for your help. The song sounds good, by the way!

- Ian

iboersma said:
Hi all,

I would like to use a portable, USB or firewire-based portable audio interface rather than a soundcard, since I need some good mic pre-amps and I don't want any of the potential interference you might get from an on-board sound card.

Nonsense.

Did you bother to see if there is any truth to that? There are pleanty of pro PCI audio cards with adequate EM/RF shielding - my Audiophile 2496 does a fine job and now retails for $99. A USB or Firewire interface is a waste of money when a similarly configured PCI will perform better and cost less, especially if you're not using a laptop. Built in preamps on Firewire and USB interfaces are usually not good quality. You are better off buying it separately.

I called Adobe to find out if they could provide a list of their approved hardware providers, but they were of ZERO help ("Adobe doesn't make hardware recommendations...")

Use Adobe's User to User forums. People ask questions like this on a daily basis in the Audition forum.

brzilian said:
Nonsense.

Did you bother to see if there is any truth to that? There are pleanty of pro PCI audio cards with adequate EM/RF shielding - my Audiophile 2496 does a fine job and now retails for $99. A USB or Firewire interface is a waste of money when a similarly configured PCI will perform better and cost less, especially if you're not using a laptop. Built in preamps on Firewire and USB interfaces are usually not good quality. You are better off buying it separately.

Use Adobe's User to User forums. People ask questions like this on a daily basis in the Audition forum.

Oi -

Como vai?

Thanks for your post. I may have been hasty in my assumption that PCI-card based interfaces are more prone to EF interference, and nothing says more than a personal reference. Not a diss to PCI-cards, just perhaps a bit of misinformation based on older PCI-card issues... :)

I guess I like the idea of being able to use the interface with my desktop AND my laptop, whereas a PCI-based solution would be limited to just my desktop...

I did post these questions to Adobe's forums, but the participation there is quite a bit less than here.

Thanks,

Ian

brzilian said:
Nonsense.

By the way, are you using your Audiophile with a Windows system or Mac? Reason being, it looks like that doesn't support WDM, which is one of the two supported protocols for Adobe Audition (the other is MME, which I've heard may not offer as optimized performance for Windows machines as WDM).

iboersma said:
By the way, are you using your Audiophile with a Windows system or Mac? Reason being, it looks like that doesn't support WDM, which is one of the two supported protocols for Adobe Audition (the other is MME, which I've heard may not offer as optimized performance for Windows machines as WDM).

Yes, I'm on a PC. The Audiophile has always supported WDM and ASIO. I used WDM with Cakewalk software until they started supporting ASIO.

brzilian said:
Yes, I'm on a PC. The Audiophile has always supported WDM and ASIO. I used WDM with Cakewalk software until they started supporting ASIO.

Good deal. Thanks for the info.

The thing with getting a card like that is that you then have to buy a separate mic preamp to plug the mic into, i believe, and that inevitably ends up being more money. i guess it all comes down to what you need it for, how much you need it. you stated above that you just want to do voice over work. for something like that, a simple device will suffice, it'll give you the 2 channels you need, the phantom power, and will record your voice in good quality, and as far as i know you're not in a band. just seems some people here recommend more than people need when something less will be just as good for an individual's purposes.

philpereira said:
The thing with getting a card like that is that you then have to buy a separate mic preamp to plug the mic into, i believe, and that inevitably ends up being more money. i guess it all comes down to what you need it for, how much you need it. you stated above that you just want to do voice over work. for something like that, a simple device will suffice, it'll give you the 2 channels you need, the phantom power, and will record your voice in good quality, and as far as i know you're not in a band. just seems some people here recommend more than people need when something less will be just as good for an individual's purposes.

Yeah - I'm 100% focused on just creating voice tracks so I don't need anything fancy; just an interface that produces very high-quality output (hence the need for high-end pre-amps). It's good to hear about different configurations for doing this, but again, having the ability to move the device from computer to computer quickly is a big plus for me. And, as you pointed out, buying the PCI option would require me to purchase a good mic pre-amp separately, which runs the price up even more.

I don't know about most of the other portable USB interface devices out there, but the MBox has Focusrite pre-amps, which are very high-quality.

- Ian

hey guys , ive been using aa 1.5 for 6months now, and i need some one to analyse a song and tell me what improvements i need to make so far I use studio reverb(small room size), dynamic processor(heavy master limit preset)parametic equalizer(the remove hum and hiss preset)graphic equalizer(premaster eq or spitclear preset). I USE ALL OF THESE ON ALL OF MY SONGS AND I ALSO TWEAK THE EQUALIZER ON EACH TRACK IN MIX VIEW... THANK FOR THE HELP

to hear what im talkin about go to www.myspace.com/gboyinternational

i really need the help

Last edited:
Back