Adding power to a Fireface 400

giopad65

Hi all,
For my occasional concert recordings I bought a Fireface 400 some time ago, thinking that two pres were enough for plain stereo recordings. Then I added a DAV BG-1 stereo pre to the equipment, to ensure a couple more channels to be managed.
Now I am thinking of increasing the simultanous tracks I can record.
I thought of getting myself a Quadmic, since I think the standard RME pres are not that bad (I need clear sound because I record ancient music, played by a small choir with some acoustic instruments). The Quadmic should go into the Fireface 400 through the line inputs.
Then somebody at a local music store suggested me to get a multiple pre interface that can go into the Fireface 400 via ADAT: possible choices are Focusrite OctoPre MK II and Motu 8pre.
Do you think that adding a second audio interface with plenty of pres is a good idea?
Would you rather add analog pres that run into the line inputs of the Fireface?
In this case, what reasonably priced pres do you suggest?
As I wrote, bear in mind that I aim at clear, neutral sound.
Thank you all very much.

I'd say if you just want more channels, plain and simple, get an octopre or something.

If you think you're going to want to build up a collection of boutique pres, or preamps with different characteristics, then buy separately.

You can always do both over time if you want.

There's no real deal breaker either way; It's just whatever you think will suit your needs better.

I'd say if you just want more channels, plain and simple, get an octopre or something.

If you think you're going to want to build up a collection of boutique pres, or preamps with different characteristics, then buy separately.

You can always do both over time if you want.

There's no real deal breaker either way; It's just whatever you think will suit your needs better.

Thank you for your reply. I know it's a matter of taste and needs. ;)
Generally speaking, I was wondering if - given that I already have an audio interface, albeit a small one - it's better to get more pres or another interface with pres which is capable of ADAT-connection to the first one. I cannot figure out if the latter alternative can be better architecture-wise.

I think maybe you're getting caught up on terminology, unless I've misunderstood.

ADAT units like the focusrite octopre aren't audio interfaces. IE, you can't directly plug them into your computer.

That asides, neither is a better way to do things; They're just different.

Buying line level preamps means your interface is carrying out the digital conversion.
Buying an octopre (for example) means it will do the conversion, but ultimately the same chain of events is taking place.

I think RME are known for good quality conversion (no 1st hand experience), but then I've never heard focusrite get a bad rep for it.
Apart from the fact that an octopre is one rack unit and one comms cable, conversion's probably the main deciding factor I guess.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I think maybe you're getting caught up on terminology, unless I've misunderstood.

ADAT units like the focusrite octopre aren't audio interfaces. IE, you can't directly plug them into your computer.

That asides, neither is a better way to do things; They're just different.

Buying line level preamps means your interface is carrying out the digital conversion.
Buying an octopre (for example) means it will do the conversion, but ultimately the same chain of events is taking place.

I think RME are known for good quality conversion (no 1st hand experience), but then I've never heard focusrite get a bad rep for it.
Apart from the fact that an octopre is one rack unit and one comms cable, conversion's probably the main deciding factor I guess.

Hope that helps.

You're right, I learned that ADAT pres cannot connect directly to the pc. At this point, as you say, it's a matter of converters. And of money: after all, I can guess that if a 8 channels pre with A/D conversion costs less than a 2 channel pre from another manufacurer, the latter should be a bit higher in quality... ;)
Thank you for your explanation.

No sweat. Try not to take quality vs price for granted though. There are some real nice 8 channel adat units.

I really like presonus firepod/firestudio mobile preamps and I think they do an adat unit with the same pres in it.
Digimax something maybe?

Let us know how you get on. :)

Last edited:
No sweat. Try not to take quality vs price for granted though. There are some real nice 8 channel adat units.

I really like presonus firepod/firestudio mobile preamps and I think they do an adat unit with the same pres in it.
Digimax something maybe?

Thank you. Right now I have the chance to get a (barely) uses Focusrite Octopre MK II Dynamic for 330 euros (it comes new for 590), which has 8 pres on board. I am wondering if something like The Audient Mico (found for 450 euros, two channels) or the Golden Age Project Pre73 (299 per channel) would justify the higher bucks/channels ratio...

I'm afraid I don't know those units so I can't really help, but I can say older focusrite octopres had digital conversion is an optional extra.
Make sure that the one your looking at has the digital add on card fitted if this is still the case.

You can get an octopre le (think that's mk1?) used for about a hundred quid....what's that 150 euro?

The main differences are the mk2 will do 96k over two lightpipes whereas the le does 48k over one lightpipe.
The mk2 also has compression per channel, but IIRC the compression sucked on these units anyway.

Back