Adding Noise Gate - Do I Need Preamp?

Ruarc88

Please read in whole before spamming "you need a preamp"

My current setup is a Yeti Pro plugging into a Behringer X1222USB which outputs the main mix to my PC for single (stereo) channel recording

Looking to add a noise gate as I can no longer do this via software due to it affecting other channels on the mix

I picked up the DBx 266xs for this and after plugging it in immediately realized I forgot about phantom power

To solve this, looking at a +48V phantom power supply (likely Apex APP22)

My question, do I need a preamp between the Yeti and the 266xs seeing as there's already a preamp on the mixer? Please explain the approximate effects of both scenarios if possible:

Yeti > 266xs > X1222 > USB
Yeti > Preamp > 266xs > X1222 > USB

Judging by the intended applications of the 266xs, I can't see a valid reason a preamp would be needed before it

You cannot plug a mic into the noise gate, it is designed for line level signals. You will need a pre-amp between the mic and the compressor. So this: Yeti > Preamp > 266xs > X1222 > USB

I have to ask the question, why do you need a noise gate? Are you in a noisy building? I would never record after a noise gate as anything it cuts out by mistake is gone.

Alan.

I thought a Yeti Pro was a USB mic?

Anyway, if you are using the mixer as the interface, then you are likely using some DAW software for the input right? Most and DAW will have that ability. And your comment about not 'using software due to it affecting other channels' does not make sense to me the way you stated. Maybe it just isn't clear what your objective is....

So no 'spamming' here. I just am not sure I understand your questions. And I may not be the right guy to answer. Please don't be mad at me. :)

Looking at the setup I think he is recording a stereo mix of the inputs, so the mic and the other things in the mix are a stereo wav, so the noise gate will gate everything. Maybe he is recording a keyboard with live vocal or something like that.

Can Ruarc88, let us know what they are trying to do as an end product and what the noise problem is that needs a gate?

I thought the Yeti was USB too, however there is a yeti that is not USB, here.

Cheers
Alan.

Sorry for any confusions. Hopefully I'll answer all questions.

End goal is Youtube/streaming gaming videos, so the full mix includes Yeti (USB & XLR model), voice app, and game audio.

I don't share the building so noise gate is to help cut out house-mates talking (yelling more like) in the other rooms and furnace fan (only room I can record in is above the furnace room).

Software I'm using is OBS so single channel. Since everything is mixed, software gate would affect voice application and game audio as well.

Since it's looking like I will need a preamp, any recommendations? I've already gone well over my budget on this project so nothing too over the top. Since the Yeti also needs phantom power, almost thinking it's more economical to just get a second mixer. Thoughts on this?

That mixer appears to have inserts on the XLR input channels 1 through 4. That should allow using the preamp in the mixer ahead of the gate. You'll need an insert cable, TRS on one end and two TS on the other end. Your manual should indicate whether the mixer is wired tip=send or ring=send.

Yeti > mixer (insert send > 266 > insert return)

That mixer appears to have inserts on the XLR input channels 1 through 4. That should allow using the preamp in the mixer ahead of the gate. You'll need an insert cable, TRS on one end and two TS on the other end. Your manual should indicate whether the mixer is wired tip=send or ring=send.

Tried to post similarly BSG but got some guff about a 'token expired'!

Dave.

I don't think this model has inserts. Correction they on the rear, yes use inserts.

Alan

Looking to add a noise gate as I can no longer do this via software due to it affecting other channels on the mix

Why is this? Can't you put a (noise) gate on one particular channel/track without effecting the others? That must be possible in a good DAW. I do it no different.

:wtf: No idea how I missed that. I was even looking for the insert ports.

Back