Adding More Mic Inputs to an Audio Interface

Noah Leong

Hello all, I currently have a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL Interface and want to add more inputs to record my band, What is the cheapest and most effective way to add more inputs to my interface?

Hi,
You can't. At least, not discreet inputs.
I fear it's time for an interface upgrade.

Maybe take a look at the Tascam US* options?

Hi,
You can't. At least, not discreet inputs.
I fear it's time for an interface upgrade.

Maybe take a look at the Tascam US* options?

^ Indeed and the Tascam US 1800 is the goto reccy here.

But think on Noah. The 1800 gives you 8 mic inputs, do you HAVE 8 mics, stands and cables? That will cost more than the AI! And don't think that multitrack recording is a breeze? I don't do it but I have read that even in a good, well treated room with GOBOS and People Who Know What They Are About(!) it ain't that easy.

If you just want to capture the band, maybe for some musical critiquing, try a stereo pair placed about where a vict...Er I mean Punter(!) would stand.

Google Co-Incident stereo recording.

Dave.

We're thinking about doing some original compositions, and I'd want to make some recordings of them at okay quality. I've been producing EDM up until now, and have some experience with mixing and mastering, my room is acoustically treated... not perfect but good. I think i'll just record everyone separately, how should I go about that? should I do drums and bass first?

^ Indeed and the Tascam US 1800 is the goto reccy here.

But think on Noah. The 1800 gives you 8 mic inputs, do you HAVE 8 mics, stands and cables? That will cost more than the AI! And don't think that multitrack recording is a breeze? I don't do it but I have read that even in a good, well treated room with GOBOS and People Who Know What They Are About(!) it ain't that easy.

Dave.

This is a true statement. I getting ready to go out and record live bands, bought the 1800 with a little laptop, about $500 (300 for the Tascam and 200 for the laptop).

Now I have purchased mics (on e-bay) $200, have to get cables, luckily, I know where I can get those cheap, etc. By the time I am done, I will have over $500 in mics. But ..., that is just the nature of the beast.

The new 1248 from MOTU looks pretty slick.

They say there are 66 audio channels, with 32 Inputs and 34 Outputs....though I can't tell from the promo how many are pure analog I/Os....? Often they include a mix of I/O options and count them all together.

I'm waiting for a single box with 24 (32 even better) Analog Input and 24 (32 even better) Analog Output....that doesn't cost a fortune. Don't want any other preamp/DI features, just a pure A/D/A converter box....with maybe basic digital audio I/O and clock I/O options and MIDI I/O
I would like to at some point find the best upgrade path from my 3 Echo Layla24 boxes. Not in any hurry, and I could run like this for a long time still....but at some point I'm sure my DAW computer with multiple PCI slots (for the Layla cards) will die, and the new computers don't have them, so new computer will also = new converter I/O box.

I need the large count so I can continue to use my multi-track tape deck and analog console.

The new 1248 from MOTU looks pretty slick.

They say there are 66 audio channels, with 32 Inputs and 34 Outputs....though I can't tell from the promo how many are pure analog I/Os....? Often they include a mix of I/O options and count them all together.

I'm waiting for a single box with 24 (32 even better) Analog Input and 24 (32 even better) Analog Output....that doesn't cost a fortune. Don't want any other preamp/DI features, just a pure A/D/A converter box....with maybe basic digital audio I/O and clock I/O options and MIDI I/O
I would like to at some point find the best upgrade path from my 3 Echo Layla24 boxes. Not in any hurry, and I could run like this for a long time still....but at some point I'm sure my DAW computer with multiple PCI slots (for the Layla cards) will die, and the new computers don't have them, so new computer will also = new converter I/O box.

I need the large count so I can continue to use my multi-track tape deck and analog console.

ICE-16 - Allen & Heath

^ Can be stacked for extra channels. Now comes with "Tascam" wired Ds.

Dave.

Back