adat and syncing effect on sound?

Oh...now I get it. I initialy understood it was an actual ADAT recorder, feeding an RME interface. ...

Yes. and this-- for the record :)
Re-record? Why? If there's no problem you can hear, then all is fine and dandy. It's been a long while now, but ADAT needed it's own sync to allow multiple recorders to actually go into record. The first one would roll, then the others would lock to it.. [snip]

.. is a different 'ADAT sync' -- I.e. the machine's defecated 9 pin sync cables.
That wasn't done via the ADAT light pipe track and clock data flow.

Yes it has :>) I still have a pair of Fostex. One was cool, had SMPTE and chased the 1/4" eight track!
Now taking up space in the back..

Oh...now I get it. I initialy understood it was an actual ADAT recorder, feeding an RME interface.

OK...so then, the question...why do you need to apply synths/fx in that manner...from a second computer?
I mean...it can be done... but why not record the live/acoustic instruments & vocals right to the RME computer, and then add the synths/FX there, on that computer...?...why do you have to use two computers?

The computer with the synths/fx im recording from has an old pci soniccore soundcard that runs its devices off the cards dsp. Kinna like uad card but with synths as well. Since its old pci interface which is now obsolete i couldnt build a new computer at specs i wanted with that card. So to be able to still use it with a new computer need to record through adat externally.

The computer with the synths/fx im recording from has an old pci soniccore soundcard that runs its devices off the cards dsp. Kinna like uad card but with synths as well. Since its old pci interface which is now obsolete i couldnt build a new computer at specs i wanted with that card. So to be able to still use it with a new computer need to record through adat externally.

They make PCIe to PCI adapters, like this one:

PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card | Slot Conversion | StarTech.com

You can still find PCIe slots on newer computers and motherboards.

Latest mb with pci i believe is z97 which i needed more cpu power

Well...if you're going to run mostly the sampled instrument, VSTi/MIDI tracks...they suck up a lot of CPU power.
I always convert sampled stuff to audio tracks, and then delete the VSTi stuff.

I'm running my DAW on an older quad core, 3GHz machine...it's a tower with 3 PCI slots, plus 2 PCie and I think another one.
Anyway...I need/use four 8-channel converter boxes for a total of 32 A/D/A channels. Three of them are on PCI cards, and the fourth one piggybacks off one of the others via ADAT pipeline.
Only time I see my CPU power getting used up is when/if I overload a lot of tracks with real-time FX processing...but like I said, with the VSTi/MIDI stuff, I never let it run as VSTi/MIDI once I get my instruments setup and pick the sounds I want....they are always converted to audio tracks, which really cuts down on the CPU overhead. I just save a copy of the project with the VSTi/MIDI tracks in case I need to get back to it...which is like, never. :D

Back