ADAT-Firewire

OrganMiscreant

Hi gang,

I'll be buying a new iMac pretty soon and I'm thinking about moving from my Korg D16 to the Mac for recording.

What I'd like is to use an external Firewire interface. However, I'd also like to be able to use a Behringer ADAT unit I got a year or two back.

The more possible simultaneous inputs the better. I'd like the 8 I get via the ADAT, plus any analog ones that the unit can give me.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Do you have a preferred software you want to run? If you're considering Protools, the Digi-002R connects via firewire to the computer giving you 8 analog ins, and you can get 8 more through the ADAT input which you could use with your Behri unit. If you don't necessarily want to run PT LE, I know MOTU makes a similar interface with Firewire connectivity and an 8-channel ADAT input. There are others entering the market now as well--M-Audio possibly and Tascam. Be sure to account for how many preamps you'll want the main interface to have.

AlexW said:
Do you have a preferred software you want to run?

At first, I'll probably just work with GarageBand. (I've been using a standalone Korg D16, so I want to get my feet wet with something simple first.) However, I'll likely jump to Logic Express after that, as I can get it for the $150 academic price.

If you're considering Protools, the Digi-002R connects via firewire to the computer giving you 8 analog ins, and you can get 8 more through the ADAT input which you could use with your Behri unit.

Thanks... That may be a possibility at some point in the future.

If you don't necessarily want to run PT LE, I know MOTU makes a similar interface with Firewire connectivity and an 8-channel ADAT input.

Is this the MOTU 828 MK II?

There are others entering the market now as well--M-Audio possibly and Tascam. Be sure to account for how many preamps you'll want the main interface to have.

I've read bad reviews of the M-Audio 1814. I've heard lousy reports on the reliability.

Thanks,

Blair

Back