Adat to computer : Gear Advice.

southerngent

Hope this is the right place to post this question if not please advise: Just wondering if someone could tell me how to connect an adat device to my computer for file transfer?

Hi Southern,

I've moved you into your own thread with a title; Should get more interest that way.
What is your output device, and what computer (+OS+software) do you have?

I don't think I've ever seen a laptop or motherboard adat (8ch) input built in. Digital 2 channel over lightpipe is common enough, though.
You'd probably need a USB/FW/PCI/PCIE/Thunderbolt interface for 8 channels over adat.

Tell us more. :)

I have a Fostex D-108 and I am wondering how to get recorded material from it into my computer to burn to cd,also if I have to have the D-108 connected to an amp to play? Running windows 10 Desktop with creative sound blaster card.................also I have a FostexDMT-8VL Tthat I would like to connect to computer, not having any luck with either. thanks for your help.

I can find only two solutions under $300 (just!)

The Behringer UMC1820 and the Audient iD14. The Berry does full ADAT in and out but the iD14 is just an ADAT to USB interface, the Audient does have an excellent rep' for its mic pre and converter quality, it is also some $50 cheaper than the 1820.

The D-108 appears to have some built in editing capability and so you could probably do a basic mix down to stereo? Likely be a bit of a faff though... There are two other options. The 108 has a 'removable' E-IDE hard drive. You could presumably take that out, drop it in an IDE caddy and transfer the tracks, prob' need some OEM software? (Mr S, your dept?) . The unit can also dump data to an external HDD via a SCSI-2 connection (never even seen one!)

You could look for a S/H Tascam us 16-08 or similar and copy as analogue, maybe hire in a MOTU?
If this was a 'one off' file dump I COULD make a suggestion of how to do it here in UK but that would be a bit naughty!

Dave.

Think i'll just trash these 2 units and look for something that has cd burner built in,maybe Yamaha. Thanks for the information and all the time you invested sir.

Hi Southern,

I've moved you into your own thread with a title; Should get more interest that way.
What is your output device, and what computer (+OS+software) do you have?

I don't think I've ever seen a laptop or motherboard adat (8ch) input built in. Digital 2 channel over lightpipe is common enough, though.
You'd probably need a USB/FW/PCI/PCIE/Thunderbolt interface for 8 channels over adat.

Tell us more. :)

Thank you sir. running windows 10 with sound blaster card but it looks like I am between a rock and a hard place with these (2) units without spending several hundred dollars,probably just trash them. Thanks again for your help.

Hey Southern,
No worries.

Is this a one off job? Put your rough location in your profile. Who knows what doors that might open. ;)
Both units appear to have 8 line outputs also, so that opens things up even more.

Tell us about your plans, if you have any. If you're building a modern home studio then gear recommendations could kill both birds with one stone.

Hey Southern,
No worries.

Is this a one off job? Put your rough location in your profile. Who knows what doors that might open. ;)
Both units appear to have 8 line outputs also, so that opens things up even more.

Tell us about your plans, if you have any. If you're building a modern home studio then gear recommendations could kill both birds with one stone.

Profile updated, I would be happy just to find out what equipment I need just to play the audio on the D-108.

I would be happy just to find out what equipment I need just to play the audio on the D-108.

The D-108 is a stand alone 8 track digital recorder, a typical setup for use would be to have a mixer with at least 8 channels for playback, each of the 8 rca outputs on the back of the D-108 would be connected to a mixer channel's line input or tape return depending on the mixer used, then the mixer's faders, EQ, effects send/return controls would be used to create a stereo mix, the stereo outputs from the mixer would normally go to a stereo recorder or computer to capture the stereo mix.

To hear playback, the mixer's stereo outputs, or control room monitor outputs could be connected to a playback system such as powered monitors, or an amp and passive monitors, or even a home stereo system in a pinch (not the best option though), it is also possible to just use headphones with the mixer's headphone output (also not the best option for actual mixing).

Here is the most inexpensive option I have ever seen for getting 8 channels of ADAT audio in/out to a computer via USB, I've never used one though so I cannot comment on it's actual use.

USB Audio Streaming : USBStreamer B

The D-108 is a stand alone 8 track digital recorder, a typical setup for use would be to have a mixer with at least 8 channels for playback, each of the 8 rca outputs on the back of the D-108 would be connected to a mixer channel's line input or tape return depending on the mixer used, then the mixer's faders, EQ, effects send/return controls would be used to create a stereo mix, the stereo outputs from the mixer would normally go to a stereo recorder or computer to capture the stereo mix.

To hear playback, the mixer's stereo outputs, or control room monitor outputs could be connected to a playback system such as powered monitors, or an amp and passive monitors, or even a home stereo system in a pinch (not the best option though), it is also possible to just use headphones with the mixer's headphone output (also not the best option for actual mixing).

Here is the most inexpensive option I have ever seen for getting 8 channels of ADAT audio in/out to a computer via USB, I've never used one though so I cannot comment on it's actual use.

USB Audio Streaming : USBStreamer B

This would probably work for me,I think I have a mixer somewhere just hope it has enough imputs. Thank you sir, I will give this a try and get back to you on the results. Thanks again for your help and your time invested.

Big thanks you to you Mr. Strryder, upon connecting the D-108 to the mixer I now am able to hear the content on the drive. The mixer isn't an 8 channel but it is working until I upgrade to the 8 channel.
Thanks again for your help sir and thanks to all that help me resolve my issues tonight.

Back