About this Kingston RAM:

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz CL10 DIMMs (HX318C10FRK2/8)

I`m building an i5 - H97 desktop,and that RAM happens to be on sale at my local store at a good price. Is that RAM acceptable? People scream about Corsair and a couple other brands, and I don't mind paying a few bucks more if necessary, but Kingston, I know, is reputable, so.....?? ......... and the specs "1866MHz CL10 DIMMs" - OK?

Thanks

Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Socket 1150 Intel H97 Chipset
- Dual Channel DDR3 1600 MHz, 1x PCI-Express 3.0 x16
- GLAN, 6x SATA 6.0Gb/s, 6x USB 3.0, 8x USB 2.0
- DVI/HDMI/D-Sub, Micro ATX

Intel Core i5-4460 Quad-Core Processor - Socket LGA1150, 3.20Ghz, 6MB

The maximum supported ram speed for that board and cpu is 1600mhz so there's no advantage to buying 1866 spec modules.
Often faster modules will be compatible, but will run at a slower speed.

Here is the official list of supported ram if you want to play it safe.

I just picked up 16GB of RAM made by G.Skill
I had not heard of them until I happened on these particular sticks, as I was looking for something specific to fit my system...but once I got them and popped them in, I was very happy with them (so far).
I ran all kinds of RAM tests on the sticks and they work flawlessly.
They came with heat sinks (and I have to say they look super cool with the orange heat sinks) and purely from a visual inspection (not that it will tell a lot about the chip quality) but they look like well designed/built RAM sticks.

These are similar to the ones I got: Performance - F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - G.SKILL DDR2 Memory

Here's their website....maybe they have what you want at a better price or a better fit for your system....?

G.SKILL - World's best performance DDR3 memory for desktop PCs, laptops, Macs & high speed SD flash memory cards.

DDR3 1600MHz CL9 Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

The 2gb modules from that series are listed as compatible, but the 4gb modules aren't mentioned.
That may simply be because they weren't released when the support list was drawn up, but I just wanted to make you aware.

There shouldn't be a problem, but google is always your friend. :)
Good luck with the build.

The 2gb modules from that series are listed as compatible, but the 4gb modules aren't mentioned.
That may simply be because they weren't released when the support list was drawn up, but I just wanted to make you aware.

There shouldn't be a problem, but google is always your friend. :)
Good luck with the build.

Thanks. I saw that, but figured that since the sizes on either side matched, the one I want would as well, but I will check with the assembler-tech person.

Actually, Google is my enemy; yahoo is my friend.

Kingston has a lifetime guarantee. If it goes bad, email them and they respond pretty quickly with an RMA number and instructions for getting a replacement.

Kingston has a lifetime guarantee. If it goes bad, email them and they respond pretty quickly with an RMA number and instructions for getting a replacement.

The Man from Scan Computers over at SoS has written that provided it is the right memory there is little to chose between types for performance. Lifetime warranty is ok of course!

Dave.

You can run faster memory, if it doesn't automatically downclock to 1600mhz (JEDEC) speeds it will be easy to change the settings in the motherboard to force 1600mhz.

I use GSkill in my music PC, and have also used Kingston, Crucial, Team Vulcan, Mushkin, and many other brands in the past. Sometimes there's a bad batch and you see a rash of complaints as a result, otherwise most memory off the shelf will suffice so long as you don't intend on overclocking.

Back