Abit be6-2 problem

beezelbubba

Shitty Buddhist
I installed a be6-2 w/ celeron 533 into my ATX case and
hooked up my perifreals(HD,floppy,cdr,and AGP card.)Turned on the power to set the BIOS(I'm doing all this by numbers mind you,I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about)and
a steady beeping sound comes from my motherboard.Nothing comes on my monitor.Everthing looks like it's hooked up right.I followed the manual as best as I understand it
but there could be something I'm missing(ya think!!!)
Any input would be profoundly appreciated

Recheck all of your cables. Make sure you have the red line on the ribbon oriented correctly with the hard drive, floppy, cd-rom etc. Red stripe goes closest to the power connector on Hard Drives/CD-Rom's, furthest away from power on floppies (usually). Same thing with where it plugs into the mainboard, make sure pin 1 on the mainboard corresponds to the red stripe on the ribbon.

Reseat the cards. Start with just your video card and memory, nothing else in the machine. Reseat the memory, make sure it's in right.

Try it with just a hard drive and floppy, video card and memory. Don't plug in all your peripherals yet.

AGP Video cards can be picky - They have to be seated perfectly and firmly into the slot. They can appear like their seated, when really their not.

Good luck.

Heres a new problem(self inflicted).I tried what you told me,and it worked like a charm.Got as far as loading windows
(I didnt change any BIOS).Reached a point in windows instal where it was no longer asking me to hit enter,but click continue or exit,or something like that.Couldnt get the mouse to move the pointer,didnt know what to do,so(uuuuhhhhgggg)I shut the power off.I thought I'd be able to start over.Now,I can usually only get the board to boot if the hard drive is disconnected from the IDE controller.If its plugged in,most times I get the beeping.
A few times I didnt get the beeping,it would boot to a certain point,then tell me I had an invalid boot disk.Did
I ruin the hard drive?Is there anything I can do.HELP!!!!

I doubt you fried your hard drive in anyway. Sounds like something else. Try another ribbon cable, and check that AGP card again. If your using a cheapo computer case, the way in which slots line up, the height of the mainboard etc are far from perfect and can get jiggled out easier. Is the Hard drive the only thing on the ribbon? You should at least load the setup defaults in BIOS, check the memory settings in particuliar(mostly auto these days). It's very unlikely the problem your having from a cold power up is related to these settings though.

Back