aardvark problems

dr_penner

I think I caused myself a lot of hassle by throwing out a reciept too early......

About 6-12 mos. ago (not sure exactly when) I bought an Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. Installed it, played with it a bit. Seemed to work fine, although I really didn't have the time to explore in depth.

Now I have the time, and I discover that inputs 3 & 4 don't seem to accept any sort of signal. I can plug whatever I want into them, POD, drum machine, microphone, and none of them will produce a signal that triggers the meters or comes out of the headphones or monitor outputs. Of course inputs 1&2 work perfectly.

The local guys who built my computer (but did not sell me the Aardvark) are speculating that the hardware is faulty, ie. the PCI card, the breakout box, or the cable between them.

While I did go to great pains to keep all of the packaging material in case of a problem, I now can't find the receipt! AAAARGH!!!! I think I concluded too early on that it works, and chucked it. Now I have to try to find some record at my bank or god forbid the music store that sold it to me. I really don't know if Aardvark will accept a warranty claim at this point.

Any thoughts on what my problem could be? Anyone else experience this?

Kurt Penner
(who will never lose a receipt again)

Every time I think my ark is broke I have done something really simple wrong. if I were you I would phone aardvark and see if they can help you. They are really good over the phone.

I havent played around with the DP alot, but I would think you just have to play with the routing in the mixer section....

aardvark fixed!

Well, I called Aardvark tech support yesterday and had my 24/96 fixed in about 3 minutes!

The particular problem is that the inputs 3 and 4 sometimes don't "wake up" correctly when the software mixer is opened up. This seems to be related to the variable nature of PC power supplies. The fix was a simple as unplugging and replugging the 25 pin cable between the soundcard and the breakout box, followed by "wiggling" the trim pots on inputs 3 and 4 on the mixer window (i.e. just turn them up and down). Problem solved!

The tech guy stated that for some users this is enough to fix it, other times they need to replace a single capacitor in the breakout box. They said this is simple enough that they will let the user do it themselves if they feel confident with minor soldering on a printed circuit board. Otherwise they would gladly accept the box back to do it themselves.

AND, they said the lack of receipt was not an issue!

So, my expensive box is fixed at no cost to me! I am VERY impressed with the support I got, and I am happy to recommend the product to anyone.

Kurt Penner

Tech Support

I agree!! Aardvark's Tech Support is great. No long waits, very professional and very helpful.

Back