8 preamp interface

artCROSS

I'm looking for a new Firewire interface for my laptop. My old setup was a behringer UB2442fxpro connected to an edirol fa101 firewire interface. It was good b/c it allowed me to use 8 independent channels w/ preamps. However, I found I scarcely needed the 8 preamps (only when recording drums), and I hated dragging around the mixer when i did need them.

I want something that has the 8 preamps built in, so when I do record drums, i don't need to lug around the mixer (which I sold anyways). The obvious culprit is the Presonus Firepod. But I was just wondering if there was any other alternatives that would be equally as good, or better.

Looking to spend as much as a firepod, and I want 8 preamps, not just channels. Thanks everyone.

There's not a lot out there to touch the Firepod unles you look at something like the Tascam 1884. Quite a bit more coin though and it's not rack mounted

yeah, I didn't think so. Do you know of anything that will be coming out soon, or not yet released that could rival the firepod? I kicked myself when I bouth the FA101 and the firepod came out a month later. I don't want the same thing to happen again.

the fa101 has been great for ME. ok so it doesnt have all the pre amps............ and iv just realised thats why you kicked yourself when the firepod came out. lol sorry

Got an FA-101 on the way... got it for $US345, much cheaper than the firepods i found. Just what the budget permitted. Someone please tell me its a good interface! Heheheh

Am I missing Something?

Why is it all of these interfaces (aside from the Firepod and a few others) only have 2 direct XLR inputs and the remainder TRS? I mean, I'm always using XLR mics. Direct input? Yeah, use the Firepod type please. Cost, yeah, but am I missing something?

aaroncomp said:
Why is it all of these interfaces (aside from the Firepod and a few others) only have 2 direct XLR inputs and the remainder TRS? I mean, I'm always using XLR mics. Direct input? Yeah, use the Firepod type please. Cost, yeah, but am I missing something?

Because alot of them are designed to be used with mixers on the line ins, then to use the XLR inputs on the channels if necessary.

that's exactly how I used my FA101. I just found I never used the actual board, just the preamps.

The FA101 served me very well, and I was sad when I handed it over. It was my first interface, and my first experiences w/ recording, so it had some sentimental value. And yeah, the only reason I kicked myself was b/c it didn't have enough preamps...just out of curiousity, does anyone know how the preamps on the Edirol FA101 compare to the Firepod? I would really be interested to know.

I own a Firepod, and have been very happy with it. Driver's seem to be stable (only had one problem, and that was with an Echo Card). And the pre-amps sound clean in my opinion.

I was seriously considering that unit, but I read reviews that said the pres weren't that much better, or even better at all than the firepod. The pres are the converters are what really matter to me.

Aardvark Q10 (you can still find a bunch of used ones). That motu, yes.

I'm pretty sure M-Audio makes an 8 preamp one...but it's been a while since I checked their site.

Back