8 I/O Sound Card?

thanks,

i'm sending out e-mails requesting shipping cost estimates like crazy. it's kinda like putting children in a candy store... so see it you want it and it doesn't look so expensive untill you actually have to cough it up.

i'm checking that new link now.

greetz guhlenn

mix and match

This is what I have been looking for. I believe I understand this product. Let me run this by you just to make sure I can do this.

Existing equipment I have:
Alesis studio32
sblive with digital card
Fostex D-90 disk recorder with adat lite pipe

to buy: first
Sound Track Audio DSP 24 MK II & ADC / DAC 2000
for 8 I/O unbalanced
I allready have 16 mic preamps on my Alesis studio32.

Would I benifit from the ADC III or should I buy a second ADC/DAC 2000? IS the ADC/DAC2000 24bit/96khz? If not then can I combine the ADC/DAC2000 with the ADC III.
Can I connect a mic top my Alesis input (xlr) then direct out to the ADC III? There would be two mic preamps inline in this situation.

Also later I would like to add the DS2000 ADAT/TDIF so I can fly 8 tracks at once via ADAT lite pipe.

IS this feasible or am I off my rocker?

I have a project coming up in March, that I need 14 or 15 tracks.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Bevins
bevins@videotron.ca

hi,

i think you're over doing it here. the dacIII has prreamsp too (and cost more cuz of it) but you don't need 'm. depending on what quality you want take the 2000 or a more proven brand loike aardvark.

my opinion ;)

greetz guhlenn

bevins, If you want 8 I/O unbalanced, you should get the DSP24 + ADC/DAC2000. They're sold as a package known as c-port. The ADC/DAC2000 is 24/96.

cuz we were talking about a different model: the ADCIII +mkII .

it really is cheap ey? i don't know , been discussing this with ola for a while and it seems a great unit except that noone can find some real user reviews.

post it here when you buy that think kay?

greetz guhlenn

Also, the one you want is probably this, which is only $360. If you're using the ADC/DAC2000, you don't need the mkII version as you already have 24bit/96kHz on the brealout box.

Remember to add about $50 for shipping and also sales tax before you consider the price.

/Ola

El Barto,

This is the one with 8 in and 8 out unbalanced, the one for 6 and change was for the dsp24 mkII ADCIII which is balanced 8 in. because the ADCIII with the balanced inputs and the better surrounding electronics with the same A/D converters, you get the higher SNR. And with the DACIII unit you get digital outs among other goodies for another 200 and change.
This is how I understood it.

But what I would like to know can I add a DAC III with the DSP24 MK II. and maybe later on add an ADC III.

Any which way this seems to be the buy right now.

cheers!

you must understand that the ADCIII has preamps. that's why it's soo expensive. but well you can first buy the DAC but why do you wanna do that? you'd have a 2in 8 out config. ah well, i'm a dumb guitar player so don't mind me.

is still don't get why you want the ADCIII so bad.

you've got a mixer...

greetz guhlenn;)

You get digital (S/PDIF) I/O with just the DSP24 or DSP24mkII card. They both come with a little "daughter card" which has the digital I/O.

Also, guhlenn is quite right - you don't really need the more advanced inputs of the ADCIII if you have a mixer and you do especially not want to pay for the preamps if you already have them. I'm sure that the line inputs on the ADCIII are better than the ones on the ADC/DAC2000 but are they really worth the price? I had an SNR of 80-90dB on my ADC/DAC2000 inputs and I think that's enough for most of us. The ADCIII looks cooler though:)

You can get just the DSP24mkII and add the boxes you need later. My suggestion would be to get only the DSP24mkII first and if you like it and find that you really need more inputs and outputs, get the ADC/DAC2000 or ADCIII and DACIII depending on how rich you are.

/Ola

hey ola,

didn't you save some of your dac 2000 recordings...

well probably not but i guess it's worth asking.

greetz guhlenn

I didn't save much as all I did was tests and I didn't really see any need to save them. I regret it now but how interesting are several minutes of random guitar strums and voice tests etc.?

I did use the Hoontech gear to get a demo that we did with our band onto my PC but it isn't really recorded with the Hoontech gear. I took the final mix, recorded it to minidisc to be able to get it home, then recorded from the minidisc headphone out to the ADC/DAC2000, dithered the files to 16/44.1 and finally burned them to CD. Sounds pretty good but it's hard to say anything about the quality of the ADC/DAC2000 as I went through all the extra steps. I can't find any difference between the MD recording and what I have on CD though.

I will try to post some tests as soon as I can.

/Ola

/Ola

Back