4GB RAM enough?

Not sure about all DAWs...but some have the ability to show you the CPU/HD/RAM usage during mix playback, that way you have a real-time view of what's going on as the playback hits various tracks/plugs, etc.

I have it on my DAW, Samplitude ProX...it comes up as an info bar at the bottom of the project window if I turn it on. I"ve used it occasionally to check when setting up the DAW, to see what kind of limits I was faced with...and there are only a few cases where any of those three things are pushed harder...otherwise, my system has enough spare power/speed to cover most of my needs.

Buffers have an effect on the playback and the crackles...though your monitoring settings also can come into play, if you have more than one option for monitor settings. Like with my DAW, there are different "engine" choices and what I want to monitor...so those two things go hand in hand.

AND! If your DAW does not have that facility you can download a 30day demo of ProX .
I love it but cannot justify the cost. Wish they would do a "lite" version at 50-80 quid as Steinberg and others do.
MAGIX "Home Studio" software just ain't the same.

Dave.

I recorded with 2GB for about a decade with no problem. It wasn't until last year that I "upgraded" to a new system out of necessity and I don't even know how much gigs of whatever this thing has. 8 maybe? It's not any faster or slower that I can tell. I'm not using sims and samples though, so I guess the load is light on my machine.

Yeah...you can do fine with 4GB or even 2GB if you don't slather on the plugs/FX/processing, and MIDI/VSTi stuff. My original W2K DAW had 2GB, running Samplitude 7, and that's when I was converting at 88.2 kHz, but I wasn't doing almost any kind of processing in the DAW, I was just using the DAW like a recorder, and then doing all my other stuff with outboard processing.
The damn thing never glitched. :D

I recorded with 2GB for about a decade with no problem. It wasn't until last year that I "upgraded" to a new system out of necessity and I don't even know how much gigs of whatever this thing has. 8 maybe? It's not any faster or slower that I can tell. I'm not using sims and samples though, so I guess the load is light on my machine.

You could probably record an album on a toaster. That's no bad thing!

Not sure about all DAWs...but some have the ability to show you the CPU/HD/RAM usage during mix playback, that way you have a real-time view of what's going on as the playback hits various tracks/plugs, etc.

yeah, Studio One has that. When there's a lot going on, and crackling is present, that meter pushes to the right and turns red.

I verified it's 8GB. there's another 8gb open, although I don't think RAM is the issue at this point. 8GB is plenty for a new laptop that is used for nothing but music. that i3 must not be keeping up with all those plugs. Looks like I need to start committing to the Amplitube sounds earlier than I have been. argh. At least Amp4 lets me save the settings and title it too, so, I can save it as "Song A Heavy Guitar L". If I want to change the burned sound, I can just go back into the preset. Bouncing Superior Drummer doesn't do as much once it's factored in that all those drum channels will now have their own buses and EQ's and a reverb etc.... But less Amplitube instances the better. It really is a huge plug.

Many thanks for the replies. I think I'll wing it with 4GB and see how it goes. I hate the idea of upgrading, I guess I'm just lazy, but also paranoid about opening the laptop up and mucking something up. It's not the same as upgrading in the ol desktops.

Back