4GB RAM enough?

joey2000

That's what my laptop has. It will be just a keyboard and voice (and not necessarily at the same time). I will add some other "virtual" instruments via the keyboard, but not a ton...some percussion, occasionally the odd other instrument. I know it's hard to say definitively, but do you think this sounds adequate?

I survived with 4GB of RAM for several years, but I can't say that it was ideal. As soon as you come close to using it all, the OS starts to spend more and more time swapping data between memory and disk, and that puts a bigger burden on the CPU.

Synths and VST effects are more CPU intensive than RAM intensive, but any sample library that you use will chew up memory in a hurry (drum sample libraries, sample-based virtual instruments). Some sample-based libraries will have memory-saving features, like unloading any samples/layers that aren't used by the current project. So keep an eye out for such corner-cutting in case you start to feel the crunch of limited RAM.

I also worked with 4GB for a long time on my old DAW system running Samplitude.
At the time I wasn't doing a lot of DAW-based FX/Processing...the DAW was more for setting up the mixes, and then I ran the tracks back out and mixed analog.
Then I started doing more DAW processing...and even though I wasn't really having issues, when I configured my current DAW system, I threw down the extra $$$ and loaded it with 16GB RAM, just to have in case I ever got heavy with the real-time processing.

I've monitored my usage a few times, and I don't really hit the RAM too hard in most cases...but it's nice knowing it's there.

You can probably get by with 4GB...and then just see what happens as your real-time FX/Processing increases....or with a lot of VSTi stuff.
You could always get your VSTi tracks worked out...and then output them as audio tracks, that way you can minimize the real-time VSTi stuff and have more power for other things.
I never mix with VSTi tracks...I always bounce them out as audio tracks once I decide on what I want from them. If you keep them as VSTi tracks for endless tweaking even as you get to the mixing...they will suck up your DAW power.

Yeah the sample libraries are the big challenge with ram. I had to upgrade to 32GB (!) to get by with alchemy. If you use a keyboard modeler (not a sample library) like pianoteq and prerecorded drum loops I bet you'll be okay.

I upped the 4G in this HP i3 laptop up to 8G because I had some spare cash at the lime and I thought son might use it for music and video work (vid eats ram) but that never happened.

I have noticed however that the laptop runs distinctly hotter so if/when you fit the ram make sure the fans and vents are clean!

Dave.

For your audio work?

Simply for running more instances of Amplitube (hopefully up to 7, I can run 5 now) in addition to VST drum software, and a VI. (let's not forget vocal verb, guitar verb, and drum verb - all separate since the pre-delays are diff - 10 EQ's, 10 compressors, and whatever else)

with 5 amplitubes, drums, and a VI, i'm getting slight crackles. Yes, I know i can burn the guitars and drums, and i do...just not until i've molded it all together. can't commit too early!

check your inbox, btw

If you keep them as VSTi tracks for endless tweaking even as you get to the mixing...they will suck up your DAW power.

:facepalm: yeah, this is what i do. i don't like to commit too early though. on the other hand...i don't want it sitting there forever hogging up crap. (amplitube would be VSTi, right?)

Wow. You must have some hog software I guess.
I'll check some time but I'm pretty sure I never get passed 4/5gb usage on heavy sessions now and I never bounce or commit anything.

Nout in the inbox...?

i have to double check something - my emailed receipt of my laptop states "HP250, i3, 8GB", yet google searches show this comes in 4GB. hmmm.... i hope the receipt isn't referring to open slots; i could have sworn i bought this machine for the extra GB. I'm not sure if some models have more stock GB.

I'll check some time but I'm pretty sure I never get passed 4/5gb usage on heavy sessions now and I never bounce or commit anything.

In my case...I don't bounce MIDI/VSTi tracks because of RAM issues.
i just keep it simpler by working only with audio tracks. I like to treat the DAW more like tape recording. Plus, after I bounce them out as audio tracks, I'll then dump them to my tape deck...and then from there, I'll continue on and record the rest of my live/acoustic tracks to the tape...then everything comes back into the DAW as tape recorded audio tracks.

I've done comparisons a few times now...and I really like how those MIDI tracks sound after they've been bounced to audio tracks, dumped to tape, and then back to the DAW...especially when I have MIDI drum tracks to start with.
I'm not getting into any analog VS digital thing...but honestly, they just sound fatter...which is logical, since the tape will add some additional saturation/harmonic distortion, which most likely causes that.

There's probably like 10 different ways you can go with MIDI/VSTi tracks and audio tracks...so it's not a right/wrong thing...more about comfort zones and personal preferences.

In my case...I don't bounce MIDI/VSTi tracks because of RAM issues.
i just keep it simpler by working only with audio tracks. I like to treat the DAW more like tape recording, and after I bounce them out as audio tracks, I'll then dump them to my tape deck...and then from there, I'll continue on and record the rest of my live/acoustic tracks to the tape...then everything comes back into the DAW.

I've done comparisons a few times now...and I really like how those MIDI tracks sound after they've been bounced to audio tracks, dumped to tape, and then back to the DAW...especially when I use MIDI drum tracks.
I'm not getting into any analog VS digital thing...but honestly, they just sound fatter...which is logical, since the tape will add some additional saturation/harmonic distortion, which most likely causes that.

There's probably like 10 different ways you can go with MIDI/VSTi tracks and audio tracks...so it's not a right/wrong thing...more about comfort zones and personal preferences.

Aye, I've been considering doing that myself lately. I can see the appeal, for sure.
It was one of the areas where ProTools really slept in and it would have been a total PITA in the past, but now they have a handy offline-bounce-to-new-track option like the rest of the world.
Same as yourself, I might consider using it on the occasional virtual instrument or maybe on tuned vocals.
There's something nice about that 'it's done - move on' mentality for me, as well as what you said about outboard processing etc.

Someone back there mentioned about big sample libraries + RAM. Andrush, maybe your sample libraries are bigger than mine.
Right enough, unless I'm using East/West, my only sample library is SSD4.

I do keep a separate folder in my project folder with all the MIDI/VSTi stuff...so technically, I could still use those in place of the DAW audio-to-tape tracks. but...I just like working the way I described. :)

Sometimes when I bring all the tracks back in off the tape deck...I'll sit there and think that I now would have liked the cymbals a bit louder in the original MIDI drums...or maybe the VSTi organ track could have had a bit more vibrato...but it's never anything that's like "OH SHIT!"...where I have to start all over...though it does take a little bit more focus and planing with the MIDI/VSTi stuff when committing to tape, so that you feel good about the commitment...but hey, it's no different than any other tracks. I mean...if you're not sure or happy...you're gonna just end up doing it over no matter.

I do think that with those MIDI/VSTi tracks committed as audio tracks to tape...the rest of my tracks are then playing off of them as they are...and to then finish recording them, and then go and screw with those MIDI/VSti tracks afterwards...would maybe change that.
Cause you tend to play off the tracks that are already done...and it's a build up of sorts...start with drums, add the bass and rhythm..etc...etc...and to then finish all that and turn around and change the bed tracks...it just doesn't feel good.
Though I've ended up doing that a couple of times because it really needed it...but then, I also ended up re-recording the tracks that came after on the tape :facepalm:...but luckily I would always catch the problem before I got too deep with other tracks.

Again...it's not about right/wrong...you just find what feels right to you and the process that pleases you.

with 5 amplitubes, drums, and a VI, i'm getting slight crackles. Yes, I know i can burn the guitars and drums, and i do...just not until i've molded it all together. can't commit too early!
Are you sure this is a RAM issue? I'd guess CPU and maybe disk speed is more likely. Frankly, just increasing your interface buffer settings should buy you some room.

Both of my audio machines run 32 bit XP, so can't even see all of 4G. (Can't see a 4T hard drive either...) I don't have problems until I get to pretty absurd track counts. Course, I actually have 8G in there, with the spare chunk allocated via RAMDisk to look just like a tiny drive where I put my page file. Don't know for sure that this is better than paging to an SSD, but it's worked for years.

The SSD was the big leap for me. I found that no matter how many of what plugs I had running, if there were too many actual files trying to play at the same time, the spinning disk just couldn't get them to the audio buffer fast enough. With solid state, it's always the CPU that runs out of ticks first.

Edit - course as long as it takes the current generation of RAM, the stuff is super cheap, and if you're on a 64 bit OS, you might as well just cram it full.

it's 64 bit. used for nothing but music. don't forget all the compressors, reverbs, EQ's, delays, and other plugs aside from the multiple guitar sims, superior drummer vst, and virtual instruments. interface buffer is always about 7-8ms

7-8ms is nothing. Like pretty good even for live work. For mixing you should be able to live with quite a bit more. In fact, as long as you're not trying to write automation in realtime, you can whack that all the way up and probably have a lot less trouble.

7-8ms is nothing. Like pretty good even for live work. For mixing you should be able to live with quite a bit more. In fact, as long as you're not trying to write automation in realtime, you can whack that all the way up and probably have a lot less trouble.

oh, i'm not complaining about the 8ms delay. that's been fine and also consistent. I'm looking into if my crackling problems on playback are RAM or processor issues. Have my IT dept checking some stuff for me, helps i'm friends with some of them. Resource monitor in task manager.

oh, i'm not complaining about the 8ms delay. that's been fine and also consistent. I'm looking into if my crackling problems on playback are RAM or processor issues. Have my IT dept checking some stuff for me, helps i'm friends with some of them. Resource monitor in task manager.
And I'm saying that IF it's CPU (or disk) THEN increasing the buffer time will help with your crackles. I'm not so sure that it will help if you're actually low on RAM, but it can't hurt and it's an easy, free thing to try. Have you tried it yet? Go try it.

Not sure about all DAWs...but some have the ability to show you the CPU/HD/RAM usage during mix playback, that way you have a real-time view of what's going on as the playback hits various tracks/plugs, etc.

I have it on my DAW, Samplitude ProX...it comes up as an info bar at the bottom of the project window if I turn it on. I"ve used it occasionally to check when setting up the DAW, to see what kind of limits I was faced with...and there are only a few cases where any of those three things are pushed harder...otherwise, my system has enough spare power/speed to cover most of my needs.

Buffers have an effect on the playback and the crackles...though your monitoring settings also can come into play, if you have more than one option for monitor settings. Like with my DAW, there are different "engine" choices and what I want to monitor...so those two things go hand in hand.

Back