48 tracks

bhlewis

im using cw pro 9 with a intel p3 733mhz 128meg 10 gi hard drive anyway i wanted to see how many audio tracks my puter would take so i connected my cd player to the soundcard line in and armed 48 audio tracks and recorded it. it only used 15%cpu 10%disk is this good? and did i check it correctly?thanks

I suspect the other 46 tracks are mirror's of the first 2. Try recording 2 tracks at a time, 24 times and see how it plays back.

emeric
i did what you said 2 tracks at a time 1min of audio per track at 24 my cpu%4 disk%30-40 at32 cpu%7 disk45-50
42 cpu%9 disk60-75 at 46cpu%10 disk 70-85 and then it droped out is this good and why does cakewalks resource meter jump around like that? thanks. bhlewis

Even faster than that but just as sure- record a stereo pair and then save it as a .wav file with 48 different names.
Next apply some realtime effects on a smaller # of tracks and see when it craps out. You need to know both limitations on your system if you really want to know how many tracks you can really use.

alright heres the break down at 24 tracks of 1 min of audio
i applied 1 real time effect to each track up to 23 on the 24th it droped out so at 24 tracks of audio and 23 real time effect my cpu%75 and disk%50. is that good what can i do to make it better? my puters specs are at the beginning of this thread. thanks

Not saying these test are not important. But really, record something in a real way, record some more tracks, do some effecting... Does it drop out or change in sound with a certain amount of tracks? I don't think you need 48 tracks, test it in a real world situation. If you do need 48 tracks, try it with whatever your working on. Not full takes, but just scratch.

Another thing to consider....

Some plugin's take more cpu power then others.

Hi Pass Filters and Reverbs will chew you system up.

Also, the more cut eq you do with a Hi Pass Filter means more processing power too.

Ed

Cubase and Nuendo do the same thing as far as the resource meter. Usually when you stop or hit play. I turn the resource meter off... saves resources.

yep Emeric. Closing the performance meter will give you... more performance. (Sort of ironic :D)

-jhe

Back