4-Track to PC...Need Help

SirPimpAlot

I have a Tascam 05 4-track and a Pentium II PC.Ive tried everything to get my 4track recording my software from da PC,my music program is Magix Music.Ive bought all these wires and still nothing,I know all that line in/out,soundcard,all da right wires,trust me everything,but I cant get my 4track to record from my PC.Is it because my Tascam is analogue and PC digital,what do I do then?Any help please,thanks........

The sound coming out of your PC soundcard's line out is analogue. This can be recorded on anything that can hear it. Have you got the volume turned up on the card?

All you need is one lead - from LineOut on PC soundcard to Input 1 (RCA/3.5mm whatever) on 4-track. Play music on PC and set trim/level on Tascam to Line and turn up the Gain. Can you see/hear anything??

Yeah it seems like you need to get familiar with your system mixer. Make sure that It's switced to line in/out and not CD in or mic in or whatever. Are you try to go from the 4 track to the PC or vice versa? It shouldn't be a problem either way.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SirPimpAlot:
I have a Tascam 05 4-track and a Pentium II PC.Ive tried everything to get my 4track recording my software from da PC,my music program is Magix Music.Ive bought all these wires and still nothing,I know all that line in/out,soundcard,all da right wires,trust me everything,but I cant get my 4track to record from my PC.Is it because my Tascam is analogue and PC digital,what do I do then?Any help please,thanks........<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about that repeat message.
What type of soundcard are you using? As I recently found out, some cards have very low input/output levels compared to your Tascam.
Also, what version of Magix do you use. I have an older version and am thinking of upgrading.

Its turning me bloody mad!Ive recorded from one of my turntables to track 1 through my line out,Ive put vocals on track 2,and Ive even recorded them both on my PC sound recorder(just to make sure all is working),but no matter what I cant record from my PC to my Tascam 05,Ive checked my system mixer Ive raised my line in/out to da max,its got me stuffed.I can hear what Ive test recorded to my PC from da 4track but I cant record that into my 4track,I dont see any volume levels,nothing,I feel like strangling someone,please help me,thanks.....(my music program is Magix Music 3.0 and Fruity Loops 2).

...Ive recorded from one of my turntables to track 1 through my line out...
-I guess you mean Line In? If you are recording turntables then you must be shoving the phono output thru some amplification before you record it. Are you putting your soundcard thru the same amp or does it go straight into the Tascam?

The first thing is to check if there's any sound coming out at all.

Get the headphones from your walkman and plug them into the line out from your soundcard (I'm assuming you're using a consumer style soundcard a la SB?) and listen, in fact listen to all of the sockets on the soundcard just in case. Now if you hear anything from any of these, run the right one into the four track. If you still can't record on the four track, make sure that you're using a stereo lead with one channel going into the 4track, and that everything is panned the right way on the PC.

If you didn't hear anything on the headphones, your soundcard probably has the volume turned off/down. Check in the windows sound properties box (ie double click the little speaker bottom right corner of he screen) and make sure that the digital audio/line out/total volume faders are all up. Make sure nothing is muted in the checkboxes.

From you last statement I'm unsure as to whether you're able to monitor the outgoing signal from the PC on the 4track, and just can't record. If this is the case, my advice is kinda useless, but nevermind.

G'luck!

matt

Have you tried to go straight from the headphone out on the soundcard into the line in on your 4track? At least this should give you some sort of signal. The output is analogue so you should get some sound. The problem might be that the port from which you are sending on the pc is not sufficiently amplified for the 4track to pick up the signal. I would say start small and work on from there. There certainly shouldn't be any problems with the type of data you are receiving from the pc, unless you specifically choose a digital out the data will be analogue.

Perhaps try to go from the computer into an amp, then from the amp to your 4track (keeping the volume very low to begin with). Maybe these suggestions sound obvious but I cannot really think of any other reason why it would not work in that way other than hardware problems...

doh, started answering this yesterday and din't post until now... looks like most issues have already been covered by others.

Thanks lads,finally its working,all I had to do was connect it to my speaker in.Weird but true.Finally,what a releif!Now Im in action.............................

Back