3 piece computer setup, need opinions.

ProjectStudio

Hi all,

I'm currently setting up a small recording studio and we've got down to finding the ideal Mac's for our needs.

The budget is fairly high at £9,00 (this includes the display budgets)

We need three Macs:

1. A Mac for recording audio tracks (Control Room)
2. A Mac for mixing & mastering said tracks (M&M Room)
3. A Mac for 4K quality video editing (and occasional photo editing) (Video Room)

Before I go any further, I'd like to say that storage is not a problem. We are running a thunderbolt RAID storage array @ 18TBs.

We believe we've found the Macs we need for the above three scenarios. I was just wondering if I could get the opinions of you guys, given that you're much more experienced than myself and it never hurts to get a third, fourth or even fifth opinion.

1. Control Room - 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB - 2013 27" iMac (multi-tracking only) £2,250
2. Mixing & Mastering Room - 12 Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon, 24GB RAM - 2010 Mac Pro (post-production only) £2,800 (including monitor price)
3. 4K Quality Video Editing Room - 3.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16GB RAM, Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs - 2013 Mac Pro (released later this month) £2,899 (incl. monitor)

So what do you think? Would you replace this line up with something else (no windows PC's. I detest the GUI and lack of stability) or even just swap the Mac's around into different rooms?

I also have a question; I understand that post-production is more computer intensive than just tracking, hence the more powerful setup in scenario 2, however what specs would you recommend (should you not agree with the above setup) of the tracking/control room?

All opinions are deeply appreciated,

Thanks! :)

Back