Is 24bit 96k really worth the investment?

SINTZ

This is a repost, my other was deleted for some reason.

I'm thinking in buying a soundcard thats 24/96. I'm looking at the Midiman Delta 44 and the gadgetlabs 496. Is this 300.00+ purchase worth it? I have 16 bit 48K now.

I'm only recording one instrument at a time through a Fostex 16 channel board right now and 4 in/out will do it. I need to make a decision on a card by tommorow as thats when I will purchase it or order it. I have a few in mind but I really want more opinions. Help if you can and it will be appreciated.

TC
SINTZ

I found a thread a little while ago on sampling rates and in this thread it was brought up that 96 is kinda useless unless you just plan on listening to it on your computer or using DVD. I really don't know if I agree with that or not though. I plan on building a DAW fairly soon and using the lynx one card and a mixer. Another thread went into conversion rates, etc, and the lynx is as good as the $2800 cards, but it does only have 2 audio inputs. Also I emailed lynx one with a question and got a answer the next day! I can't even get that from sony.

The 16/48k is probably good enough(but obviously 24 is "superior"), not to be offensive or anything but maybe you should upgrade your other equipment instead of the computer. 16 is what some of the digital multitracks(ie. korg D-8 about $850) use on the market. So you may be better off gettting better mics, or mixer, preamp,effects processor, eq, or whatever.

Well I hope this helps you :),
Matthew

One thing to consider is that the circuitry involved in a digital sampling system capable of 96/24 must have a very high signal-to-noise ratio in order to achieve 24bit precision at a bandwidth up to 48kHz (96kHz/2). When it really comes down to it, superior sounds quality exists when noise is minimized. Essentially, a lot more of engineering goes into these systems to minimize the noise floor. A sound system only capable of 48/16 may not have the signal-to-noise ratio a 96/24 has. If going to less inexpensive 48/16 route is required, then be sure to look closely at the signal-to-noise ratio of the sound card. However, your Fostex board is going to inject a considerable amount of noise into the signal as it is - more noise than probably what most 48/16 sound cards will contribute. I know this because I happen to own the same board! :)

I plan on upgrading everything in my signal path someday so I went with the 96/24 - it all depends on how far you want to take it! :)

good luck!

OK, I got the..

Midiman Delta 44. After reading KarnEvil's post I was concerned about the noise floor but suprisingly, its down around -90/-95db with is lower than the -85db on my other card and is easily removed with a limiter/gate. I guess the final test will be putting some synths through it and recording. I think I'm going originally go with 24/44.1 for the initial tests and then try 24/88.2 on one song to sample the quality there.

Thanks for posting, I think I'm going to be pleased. KarnEvil, I plan to upgrade also in the future so I'll just work with what I have until then.

TC

Back