2496 card

Well, just about all that PCI stuff is supported in Linux. Buy a $6 Ubuntu Studio Disk and it will dual boot your choice of OS.

For me, that's usually a regular sound card, but it also had the Echo Gina 3g working on install. The driver interface, in this case, is a user GUI that looks funky, but it is all there. The new box with just the PCI card install, was working on Linux install, also. I have two cards - one for the Gina 3G and one for the Layla 3G - same card. I think the Delta cards use the same hardware layout also - using the same Linux driver.

"Don't knock it til......"!

But I did! A decade ago when I first got into DAW recording! Heck. It's probably still around here somewhere. :D

I'm just surprised that there haven't been enough advancements in soundcard technology to completely obsolete the thing by now.

But I did! A decade ago when I first got into DAW recording! Heck. It's probably still around here somewhere. :D

I'm just surprised that there haven't been enough advancements in soundcard technology to completely obsolete the thing by now.

Actually I did ask M-Audio some years ago when we were going to see a PCI "ee" version of their cards? Never came the stern reply and I struggled a few years ago to find a MOBO with just 3 PCI slots! (most had one or sod all) .

Firewire was supposed to take over from PCI for audio and the best of the stuff was very good I understand? Never had any because the PCs I could afford did not have FW ports and in any case the whole Fussywire scene was fraught. Crap drivers, incompatibilities, incurable ground loops, hot plugging issues, WRONG plugging issues and a slight tendency to self destruct anyway!

USB 1.1 was ok for a few tracks and MIDI (the aforementioned FTrack pro) but USB 2.0 was THE Promised Land! Took an inordinate time to get a decent 2.0 interface at a reasonable cost and driver and latency issues are still not universally fixed. That these CAN be fixed is evidenced by the likes of RME and I understand MOTU.

Then, even the better AIs are limited from what you can do with a PCI card and mixer. AIs rarely have as MUCH mic gain as mixers and only one, rather compromised gain control. No HP or LP filters, no EQ no poly flip. On device metering is often very poor, limited and dinky (compared to say the LED array on the ZEDs?)

But, yer pays yer money and skins yer cat how you like!

Dave.

Sorry to realize on a day-to-day basis, but they want us to buy something new and they will make us as miserable as possible 'til we do : )

Funny about PCIe. I bought this IBM Z-Pro used as I saw it had a ton of slots. I didn't even know there was PCIe 'til I opened it up. One PCI next to the AGP slot - great. It has onboard FW for my image scanner, and I suppose it is a bit faster - I felt it was SCSI-like

This HP has 3 PCI, but in sorting it out, my software, now, required Win 7, so another machine and I'm down to 2 PCI

As Richard said; " My Kingdom for one more PCI slot"

You can (or could) get PCIe to PCI adaptor cards and I emailed a distributer for some information as to whether they would work with PCI audio.

Got a very curt "we just sell the (seemed like he wanted to say Fuckers!) things" I did not order any.

Dave.

I was half considering the PCIe card based on the old M-Audio or eMu, or a consumer card. A lot of that stuff vanished : ) The 3rd slot on the old Music Room box was just a card for sound banks, anyway. I keep PCI SCSI to control the Akai Sampler. I can always switch cards.

Back WITH dos and win3 I could still manage 8 modems with two interrupts - is there something wrong with letting people config their machines, jeez

Back