2012 MacBook Pro or new PC?

Jul27

Hi all, I am looking for a laptop that I can use to run Cubase and Sibelius. I've heard MacBook Pro is the way to go, but I don't want to spend more than $1500. With that budget, I would be able to get a refurbished mid-2012 MBP with 16G of ram.

My question is, is it worth it to get an old MBP or spend that money on a new PC? There are other benefits to having a PC regarding my full time job. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Hi,
I run a 13" 2011 macbook pro i5 2.3ghz with 16gb ram and SSD.

Now, I did upgrade to Mac Pro for big sessions but I have to say, it wasn't essential. Just more comfortable.

I ran pretty heavy audio sessions on the bmp and still do sometimes without issue.
Would it be your first mac? I have to say mine have been flawless since day one.
I've had the mbp for about 4 years now and the mp for 1. No glitches, reinstalls, crashes, slowdowns etc.

Whether mac or PC, a forum isn't really the place to get that answer.
You really just need to weigh up the benefits on each side for you - not for some biased guy on a forum.
I'm a mac guy. A PC might suit you better.

Last edited:
In response to Steen's post:
I'm a PC guy but not necessarily because of DAWs.
Either system will run any DAW perfectly fine. Even cheaper products have a buttload of RAM and CPU power nowadays. They usually skimp on graphic cards, which are irrelevant for music.

I just wouldn't recommend getting a 13" Mac. You can't honestly tell me that you can actually work effeciently on a 40 track session on a 13" screen. If you do get a tiny PC or Mac, I'd really recommend getting an external display.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather see more than five tracks at once :P

In response to Steen's post:
I'm a PC guy but not necessarily because of DAWs.
Either system will run any DAW perfectly fine. Even cheaper products have a buttload of RAM and CPU power nowadays. They usually skimp on graphic cards, which are irrelevant for music.

I just wouldn't recommend getting a 13" Mac. You can't honestly tell me that you can actually work effeciently on a 40 track session on a 13" screen. If you do get a tiny PC or Mac, I'd really recommend getting an external display.
Maybe it's just me but I'd rather see more than five tracks at once :P

Haha, 5 tracks is an exaggeration but, yes, when I used the mbp full time I'd often use an external display, or two.
To be honest it was never that big a deal though.
Mix window (console view) works just fine on a smaller screen, and in timeline view I'm almost always zoomed away in on one or two tracks anyway for close editing.

Regardless, I'm not recommend the OP get a 13" computer, though. Just telling him what model I have for reference.

Mix window. HA! :-)D)
I never use it unless I'm listening back to a mix. I just don't get what the point of it is. But that's a discussion for the Pro Tools forum.

Go big, OP!

Mix window. HA! :-)D)
I never use it unless I'm listening back to a mix. I just don't get what the point of it is. But that's a discussion for the Pro Tools forum.

Go big, OP!

You don't use the mix window? The one with all the faders, pan knobs, bus assignments, I/O assignments, midi assignments and plugins?
I know a lot of that stuff can be expanded in the edit window but, wow.

Maybe that's why you couldn't work on a smaller screen?

You don't use the mix window? The one with all the faders, pan knobs, bus assignments, I/O assignments, plugins and faders?
I know a lot of that stuff can be expanded in the edit window but, wow.

Maybe that's why you couldn't work on a smaller screen?

Most likely. I've got all that stuff in the edit window.
To me, the mix window is the edit window but without the ability to know where I am in the song, edit anything, highlight regions, do automation or work with clip gain. It looks all neat and dandy but there is a reason why even analog consoles nowadays are hooked up to computers with DAWs: so you can actually see what the heck is happening to your waveform! I don't get the point of denying myself that advantage.

Most likely. To me, the mix window is the edit window but without the ability to know where I am in the song, edit anything, highlight regions, do automation or work with clip gain. It looks all neat and dandy but there is a reason why even analog consoles nowadays are hooked up to computers with DAWs: so you can actually see what the heck is happening to your waveform! I don't get the point of denying myself that advantage.

I guess it's different strokes but I do use them for their intended purposes.
Without even the slightest hint at being cheeky or sarcastic, I mix in the mix window and edit in the edit window.

They are there for different jobs, after all. I'll admit flicking between them is a pain, though.
I do love ProTools on a big ass dual screen setup.

Anyway, sorry OP. I took it off topic here.
Just realised Schwarz said "that's a discussion for the Pro Tools forum". :)

Hey, OP, sounds to me like you answered your own question--besides, as another poster put it, you can get a really good PC for $1500.00 . . . .

Back