2 Second Delay Recording Using Reaper

thefuzzbucket

I'm just getting to know Reaper. I'm using an external sound card (Phillips Aurilium) with my lab top. When I am recording my keyboard there is a 2 second delay in my playing and what's coming out of the speakers. It's throwing my right off.

Any ideas how to fix it?

Download ASIO4ALL. You have to decrease the latency when you record. Latency = Delay. A better sound card(Pro) would give you direct monitoring or zero latency.

Studiomaster.... lets make sure we get the info right. You have the correct intent, and even some of the right advice though. First, "zero latency" and "direct monitoring" happen in the hardware BEFORE hitting the software so if a person were monitoring a VSTi for example, it would be of no benefit. Second, the fact that a Soundcard is "USB" means absolutely nothing about how well or how poorly it will work. USB soundcards are certainly more than capable of a couple of channels of I/O like mentioned above. Now, the fact that it is a consumer brand sound card, this MAY mena that it is unusable for the intended purpose of this poster.... but that has to do with this specific cards build and capabilities, as well as any possible limitations that the laptop itself is imposing.

My experience is that those people who do not know to get a proper soundcard for recording, also probably do not know how to properly tune a system and OS for RECORDING purposes. In the end, the problem may extend deeper than just the soundcard.

thefuzzbucket said:
OK guys. If my sound card is the problem, then is there an external sound card out there that would perform?

tons of them. take your pick. what were your settings in asio4all? zero latency is impossible.

Guys,

Considering I record myself on the keyboard just for kicks and it will never amount to anything more than that should consider a M-Audio USB Uno 1X1 MIDI Interface. My problem is my lab top, which my employer own, has a crappy sound card.

Let me know what you think, taking into consideration my level.

Thanks.

you have to adjust the buffer. :p

that's what causes the latency (the buffer). try around 512 samples and see what happens. if that works ok, shoot for a lower setting until things go to crap (drop outs, clicks, pops)

A new midi interface won't affect your audio latency.

That didn't work. I have to admit I am getting lost here. On ASIOALL when I expang the Device list for my sound card, the "In" is unavailable. What does that mean?

Also if an audio interface won't help then what do you think is the problem. I'm using a Yamaha DGX305 and connecting to my sound card via a 1/8" cable and then to my lab top via usb.

Let me know what you think.

Back