2 outputs on my focus rite 2i2 but I want to use 3 mins

Baggage

Hello everyone I'm new to home recording and have set up a FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 with my Garageband for Acoustic guitar/vocal recording. I wanted to do an xy mic placement for the acoustic guitar and one mic for vocal as I want to
a live sound, but I only have 2 mic inputs on the 2i2 interface. What device can I get to use with the 2i2 to ad a third or
fourth mic for live recording?

thanks

You can't do that with the 2i2. It has two inputs and that's all.
You can record guitar first in XY, then go back and record your vocals.
You can buy a different interface that has more inputs.
You can buy a mixer and plug that into the 2i2, but you lose control over individual tracks.

Thanks Chili.

2 Questions: Why would I loose control over each track if I used a mixer plugged into 2i2?

What interface would allow me more mic inputs without breaking my bank?

A mixer outputs two channels; Left and Right. The 2i2 only has two channels. You want to record three channels; 2 guitar and 1 vocal.

Typically, you want to record your tracks raw then process each track individually in your DAW software. If you use a mixer, it combines the separate channels into two. You can't adjust vocals separately from the guitar.

Try this INTERFACE

Honestly, you should just do option one. Record the guitar first, then go back and record the vocal.

Or use only one mic on the guitar.

And maybe you shouldn't use garageband, it's almost a toy. You can look at Reaper which has a free unrestricted demo license and it's very cheap once you decide you want to keep it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of UAD. Sit down, let me take your coat. Girl, get him a drink. Martini, straight up, am I correct? Would you like a foot massage? Girl, massage his feet. Nevermind the smell. Comfortable? Good, nothing but the best at UAD.

The 710 is a mic pre with a/d conversion, but it is not an interface. It lacks the means to bring audio back out of software for playback, mixing, etc. You can use it with any interface, like the 2i2 or tascams I linked to.

I have the UAD Apollo Duo and I love that thing. It is my main interface. But be forewarned, when you're buying into UAD, you're buying into their plug-in scheme. It can get expensive and it never stops. Never. You'll keep buying plugs.

And, it isn't compatible with toys like garbageband.

The 710 isn't part of UAD's plug-in processor units, but it is still expensive and overkill if you're still contemplating the use of garageband. If you went with something like the Apollo, the investment alone shows a commitment to the art and you would need all other aspects of recording to be up to the task. That means your room, monitors, mics, etc.

If you want to stay with the idea of recording 2 channels for guitar and 1 vocal simultaneously, you should start with the Tascam for now. It is inexpensive, good and dependable. You'll learn a lot with what you want to do then maybe later on, you can decide if spending a lot of money is a wise choice or not.

Yes the Tascam looks more my speed but one loves to dream, right? Thanks again for the clarification- looking forward to tying out Reaper with it.

Back