2 easy questions for Tascam US600 Users...

jjjtttggg

I'm looking at the Tascam US600 as a low cost interface that will let me track multiple sources at once, but from the documentation online there are two things I can't figure out...

1 - There are two mono/stereo switches, one for channels 1/2 and the other for channels 3/4. When placed in mono, do these affect the signals sent to the computer through the USB, or only the monitoring path. I'm hoping it's only the monitoring path, so that I could say put my vocal on 1 and my guitar on 2 and track them separately but not have to listen to my voice in one ear and my guitar in the other. Anybody familiar with this?

2 - Can I track a midi source to my sequencer (I use Reaper) at the same time that I'm tracking analog sources. It would seem like that would be the purpose of having midi in, but the manual only talks about receiving a midi synch signal. There's a midi functions table, but I can't understand it. I just want to be able to track the midi from my piano while singing at the same time. I'm a pretty decent piano player, but there's inevitably a clinker here and there that I need to fix before recording the audio. Same with my electronic drums. I want to be able to record the midi while my son plays guitar or bass. Anybody know whether the US600 will do what I'm talking about here?

Thanks!

J

Not a definite answer, but I assume it is for monitoring, and not the channel destination within your DAW (Reaper). Depending on the setup and speed of your computer, you should be able to select what you monitor 'from' your DAW with low enough latency. Most modern computers can pull this off, if setup with best performance for audio recording.

Yes, MIDI will control a VSTi simultaneously with audio input to DAW. It is a completely separate input from audio.

Back