2 Different interfaces are out of sync?

sixer2007

Hey guys, I wanted to be able to record 6 mics for a drum kit, so i used 2 interfaces in order to get the right number of preamps. So, i ended up using my Alesis io2 Express, and an M-Audio Fast Track to get the job done (Both USB devices). Cubase recognized both interfaces, and i could record all of the tracks, no problem. But, the two mics running into my io2 Express (happened to be my 2 Overheads) were a bit delayed from the Fast Track.

I ended up taking the 2 delayed tracks and moving them slightly back in time (i moved them 34 ms to compensate for the delay) and that works, but surely there is a better, or even correct way to do this right? I know that my 34 seconds isn't perfect, i just used my ears and felt it out. They're still a tiny bit off i'm sure...

I have heard terms like syncing and clocking, etc but could find no way to do it for my interfaces. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

This is different to syncing. That's more for interfaces connected together, like in firewire. USB hardware works individually. The problem you are having is that one just has more latency than the other. You will just have to deal with the different latencies, get another of the interfaces with least latency, or just upgrade completely to an interfacfe with enough preamps for you. That way, they will all get the same latency anyway.

I'm surprised you were able to get Cubase to record from both devices simultaneously. I thought it only supported one asio device at a time.

This is different to syncing. That's more for interfaces connected together, like in firewire. USB hardware works individually. The problem you are having is that one just has more latency than the other. You will just have to deal with the different latencies, get another of the interfaces with least latency, or just upgrade completely to an interfacfe with enough preamps for you. That way, they will all get the same latency anyway.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I guess i'll just have to keep moving my tracks to be 'good enough' for now. I can't afford an upgrade right now... :-/

I'm surprised you were able to get Cubase to record from both devices simultaneously. I thought it only supported one asio device at a time.

I read a lot about it before trying, and it seems that as long as you're running asio4all, you can choose and run multiple interfaces at once. Aside from my latency issue, it works wonders!

Back