2.3GHz i7 or 2.6GHz i7 with SSD on macbook pro for audio recording/mixing

pietrorocks

Hi everybody,

does anyone have any experience with the MBP with solid stade drive?

I'm planning to buy a MBP for audio recording; I want something stable and fast which allows me to record at least 16 tracks simultaneously with ease.
So, I saw two models of MBP's, both are 15":
One is a 2.3GHz i7, which I'd upgrade with 8GHz of RAM and a 128GHz SSD,
the other one is a 2.6GHz i7, which I'd only upgrade with a 128GHz SSD.

At this point the two MBP would be the same except for the processor.
What I was wondering is: Do those 0.3GHz CPU make a big difference?
I see and read that those SSD's are lightning fast, which I like but will I benefit of that speed while I'm recording projects on a ext. drive (USB3.0) and mixing them from that same ext. drive?

I'm using Pro Tools 9 and I've heard that is highly recommended to record audio on an ext. drive. Does it really matter? Can I record on a ext. drive and then put the audio files on the int. SSD to mix the projects?

Thanx in advance

@ johnny: Yes they are both quad core. check the specs at apple.com
we are talking about the regular 15"

@ michael: really? why?

You've already got 4 threads (8 if there's hyperthreading) handling your data. Everything your computer is doing is already super efficient.

This is akin to asking if you need a 50KW generator to power a 100W bulb or a 60KW generator. Either option is massive overkill.

You won't see much if any performance difference now. A bit further into the future and those extra 300 Mhz (my first PC CPU in 1997 was 300Mhz!) might make the difference that counts. I'd be tempted to get the faster CPU, but I'm guessing Apple charge rather a lot for it?!

Back