18i20 and a patchbay, new to computer recording and to rack mount

devilduck

updating my recording process, i am new to audio interfaces, been recording my music for 15 years. feeling like its a whole new/different game. :drunk:
im going to be getting an 18i20 and i would like to use a patchbay to lessen the amount of time spent under my desk. is there a certain type of patchbay to be looking for for an interface like this? school me...please!

It would be nice if the patchbay had enough of the right kind of holes! What else do you want to know? Are you integrating this thing with existing hardware gear? What, how, and why? Help us help you please.

As Ashcat said, probably need more information. If it is just connections, I would keep as much out of the chain as possible. Looks like a nice interface and some of the reviews were very complimentary. I like the fact that you can add an ADAT interface to give you 8 more connections for 16 total.

I understand not wanting to have to wade in an out to make the connections, but for less money, you could make your connections build a holder rack for your cables (probably label them) and just have them ready to go without having to crawl in the back and just keep the two front open.

its just for the sake of not having to crawl under my desk as much. other than effects there isnt any other hardware as of now. patchbays are so cheap im not really worried about a cheaper alternative if i get the convenience out of it, and a clean looking install.

silly question now though. being that the 18i20 has combo plugs, could i just get a patchbay with combo plug inputs and hardwired xlr outputs that go to the 18i20 and just swap the patchbay inputs between 1/4" instrument cables and xlrs for mics? would that work? i would think that would be feeding phantom power into my patchbay and 1/4" cables. i would actually have to change to a 1/4" cable between the patchbay and the 18i20 every time i change to an 1/4" instrument input from a phantom xlr mic, right?

i guess i dont really know how the combo plugs work. if i did have to swap them every time, that really defeats the purpose of a patchbay, although i could set up half xlr and half 1/4" and maybe that would work for most of my recording.

its just for the sake of not having to crawl under my desk as much. other than effects there isnt any other hardware as of now. patchbays are so cheap im not really worried about a cheaper alternative if i get the convenience out of it, and a clean looking install.

silly question now though. being that the 18i20 has combo plugs, could i just get a patchbay with combo plug inputs and hardwired xlr outputs that go to the 18i20 and just swap the patchbay inputs between 1/4" instrument cables and xlrs for mics? would that work? i would think that would be feeding phantom power into my patchbay and 1/4" cables. i would actually have to change to a 1/4" cable between the patchbay and the 18i20 every time i change to an 1/4" instrument input from a phantom xlr mic, right?

i guess i dont really know how the combo plugs work. if i did have to swap them every time, that really defeats the purpose of a patchbay, although i could set up half xlr and half 1/4" and maybe that would work for most of my recording.

That is a good question. Hopefully someone here will know the answer. I guess it depends on the patch bay.

The combo jacks are actually two jacks in one, with separate connections for each. What you're talking about doing wont work for the reasons you stated and more. If there was such a thing as a combo plug...

The combo jacks are actually two jacks in one, with separate connections for each. What you're talking about doing wont work for the reasons you stated and more. If there was such a thing as a combo plug...

So more of a pass through plug that an actual, anything more than that plug in.

So more of a pass through plug that an actual, anything more than that plug in.
Errr...Yes? I guess if you had a way to contact both the TRS and XLR connections at the same time, you could run it to a combo jack patchbay or even split it out to separate XLR and TRS jacks. That's assuming that they're not doing any switching on insertion of the TRS plug. It's also assuming you could physically do it, but the two connectors are pretty much mutually exclusive and I don't know of any such thing as a male version of this combination.

Don't suppose you're interested in hacking the interface?

Errr...Yes? I guess if you had a way to contact both the TRS and XLR connections at the same time, you could run it to a combo jack patchbay or even split it out to separate XLR and TRS jacks. That's assuming that their not doing any switching on insertion of the TRS plug. It's also assuming you could physically do it, but the two connectors are pretty much mutually exclusive and I don't know of any such thing as a male version of this combination.

Don't suppose you're interested in hacking the interface?

Well, what I meant to say was more of a converter, convert xlr to a line plug, but that would require a switch in front (what am I) and a switch in the back (what do I want to connect to) type of thing. Probably more than just a patch bay, but I would think they make them.

I think the ideal in this situation would be to have outboard mic pres and the interface connected to a TRS patchbay and put the XLR ins on the pres somewhere reachable. Course then you start to wonder why you bought such an expensive interface with in-built pres...

I think the ideal in this situation would be to have outboard mic pres and the interface connected to a TRS patchbay and put the XLR ins on the pres somewhere reachable. Course then you start to wonder why you bought such an expensive interface with in-built pres...

I have to agree with this statement.

OP, might want to rethink where you put your interface. Probably be easier.

yeah the only way a patchbay would work for me here is if i redesigned the interface or just split up the inputs so some would only be used for xlr and some would only be 1/4". Im going to put the interface on drawer slides so it comes out far enough to get behind it, and ill probably still make/buy a patchbay with 4 xlr and 2 1/4" inputs, that should give the versitility i need with the 2 combo inputs on the front of the interface for most of my recording.

May go without saying, and reiterate aforementioned, and make sure you label all your audio cables (I do same with ALL power supplies respective and use a paint marker pen for that to make life so much easier), and I happen to own and love the 18i20 and having quite a large all synth-based home studio, I actually got the 18i20 because I do not *need* a patch bay with all the connections it offers. Keeping the front two inputs always open is awesome advice as well. FWIW, I placed my 18i20 in the very top-most rack to facilitate easier access; just as pragmatic as having one's power conditioner(s)/Furman(s) on very bottom to take advantage of gravity. Probably goes without saying in that just as preventative maintenance, having a self-made cable holder as well as managing your cables as to not put undue weight of all those inputs on inner board connecting point...even though the 18i20 seems to be built like a tank (other than the knobs in which I replaced with quality, larger aluminum ones because Focusrite did cheap-out on original knobs IMO).
Do not discount some sort of specific 'summing mixer' if needed, depending how you work and then having that summed output going to 18i20 input if you are not concerned so much with midi for that summed application tool and recording audio, as I mostly do)

i agree a patchbay isnt really "needed", the 18i20 does have great connection options...on the back of the unit. im going to have vafamsound make me a patchpay with 8 xlr and 8 1/4" connectors. ill leave 4 xlrs hooked up and 2 1/4" hooked up and the 2 in front of the 18i20 open, this will cover at least %90 of my recording. ill likely build a rack mount on drawer slides in my desk so i can pull out the patchbay and 18i20 to change connections easier.

Back