16 Channels!! Whoohoo! Presonus Firepod

dudernut

I've been using a Presonus Firepod (basically FP10) for a couple of years now with no issue...I love the thing! However, with all the live recording I've been doing for my web series, it left my co-producer and I wanting more channels to work with. Fortunately, these units can be daisy-chained. So, I went on the search for another used Firepod (they don't make the unit anymore). Craigslist had one listed, it was a 45 minute drive...unit did not work. Fortunately, the seller is honest and did not want to take the money until the unit had been tested...we obviously didn't buy it since it didn't work. Next attempt: an eBay purchase. The price was about the same, unit was DOA. I sent it back for a refund. This has been going on for weeks. Fast-forward to yesterday: I like to kill time during my lunch break at various music shops. I stopped by Sam Ash in Dallas and saw two used Firepods sitting in a glass case for sale. They both looked to be in good condition, and the top was exactly the price as my other two attempts ($150). I immediately purchased it, took it home, and it WORKS!!! I had heard that others had trouble linking the two units, but I had no trouble. Simple as plugging it in, connecting the units via firewire, and changing the preferences in Reaper to allow more inputs.

Now, what to do with all those channels :D ...Naturally, it will be great for live recordings, but it also opens up drum miking possibilities that I had resigned to living without. Already looking forward to my next sessions!

Well done!

I've done the same, so I too have 16 glorious channels of inputs. I have found that getting them both to go blue can be tricky . . . it depends on which order they are daisy chained. This is not a problem if they don't move. But when I take them away for a live recording via laptop, I have to remember which is which.

Well done!

I've done the same, so I too have 16 glorious channels of inputs. I have found that getting them both to go blue can be tricky . . . it depends on which order they are daisy chained. This is not a problem if they don't move. But when I take them away for a live recording via laptop, I have to remember which is which.

Brother P100 tape marker maker Mr G!

Dave.

Back