16-bit sound "on-board" with God Speed Gentlemen!!!!!!!!

pisces7378

Hey Guys,
I am about to finally buy this damn computer. I found the one that I wanted for the price I wanted and then the sale ran out and the price went sky high and they sold out of the damn things. BUT!!!!!I found an even sweeter machine for only $50 more. Also on sale. Now the problem is that is says... 16-bit sound "on-board." Now does that throw up a red flag? I have heard that having a sound card attached to a mother board is a problem. Is it a HUGE problem and should it warrent me not buying this computer. The other specs are...

Pent III 933 MHz
256 MB RAM
45 GB Hard Drive (I am buying a seperate HD 7200 rpm Maxtor)
CD-RW Burner 24x4x4 (Slow huh?)
DVD/CD-ROM Drive
ATI Rage Fury Pro Vivo 32MB with TV-Out (Grafik Card)
16-bit sound "on-board"
133MHz Front Side Bus (No Idea what that means)
Seriel, Parallel,2xUSB,Monitor,Speaker,Microhphone,Line-in, and MIDI/Game port.
MIDI Tower ATX

Now are any of these things bad? Is that "on-board" shit going to make this whole computer shit for recording? I have a Delta-66 Sound card with the Delta Moni I/O break out box that I want to install on whatever computer I buy. Does this "on-board" part make it so that I can not install an external sound card?

Also is that MIDI/GAME PORT good enough to where I do not need my MIDISPORT 2x2 by Midiman?

This is an urgent one. Please answer this oen with God's speed men. My girlfriend has to have this computer in two days. I have stalled her long enough whiel I gathered info on what I MYSELF need to make it work for music. She just needs a word processor to write reports for her University. But she needs it NOW. So please answer ASASP!!!!!! "On-board" red falg? or ok?

Thanks guys,
Mike

Is he right or lucky?

Guys,
Is his situation the acception or the rule? Has he just gotten lucky or can any "on-board" sound card be disabled and another one (Delta-66) be used?

PS...I also have a PC using a VIA133 board with on-board sound that the Delta was fine with. This was a built by me PC. Again, I just disabled the on-board sound.

H2H

The

Most of the onboard stuff on motherboards is absolute bottom-dollar junk. It's the only way the MoBo manufacturers can compete and still make a profit. You should be able to disable the sound either through a BIOS setting or a jumper on the board.

it'll work fine once you get rid of every last dreg of anything that mentions the soundcard. It might take some work, though.

If you know your way around 'msconfig' (aka Camns Favorite way to make Windows your bitch).. then you'll be OK.

xoxo

ps.. worst case scenario, disable, then reinstall OS.

Back